What's new

RT-AC68U 40 Mhz or 80 Mhz

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

Hello i have a question using the 68U latest Merlin firmware 374.43_2 i only use the 5 Ghz band and only at this time have N clients no AC should i leave the router at 40 Mhz or 80 Mhz can N clients benefit from 80 Mhz ??

802.11n doesn't support 80 MHz channels so no benefit there.

This is also quite easy to test. For example:
Testing at ~1.5 m from the router with open line of sight with my Samsung GS4 which has support for 1x 802.11ac.

5 GHz set to:
20 MHz, connected at: 78 Mbps
40 MHz, connected at: 200 Mbps
80 MHz, connected at: 433 Mbps

Last edited:
No harm in leaving it on 80 MHz. It will avoid headaches if 6 months from now you get an AC device, and are puzzled as to why it only connects at N speeds.

No harm in leaving it on 80 MHz. It will avoid headaches if 6 months from now you get an AC device, and are puzzled as to why it only connects at N speeds.

Thanks for the reply's i did enable it to 80 mhz. One more question i know at 40 mhz it bonds to 2 channels does 80 Mhz bond to 4 just wondering because the wifi icon in the in the router UI still only shows 2 channels for 5 Ghz with it set to 80 Mhz.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!