What's new

[RT-AC68U] A dose of Quicksilver

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin, one thing I did notice...

I had engaged stealth mode, and the LED's were off. Later in the day, I noticed that the usb LED was on (the only one). The switch on the back was depressed, I disengaged it and the LED went out.

There was nothing connected to the USB at the time.

Likely doesn't matter, but thought you should know.

I had engaged stealth mode, and the LED's were off. Later in the day, I noticed that the usb LED was on (the only one). The switch on the back was depressed, I disengaged it and the LED went out.

Odd, especially if you didn't have any USB disk plugged in. I wonder if there wouldn't be a conflict between Stealth Mode and the LED button switch (did you have that switch set to control LEDs or Turbo Mode?)

switch was set to default, control LED's.

BTW, is it worth changing it to Turbo Mode? What's the real world benefit?

I have experienced this same issue and I do not use the USB ports at all. Applying the Stealth setting again disables the LED for a day or 2 before it reoccurs.

switch was set to default, control LED's.

BTW, is it worth changing it to Turbo Mode? What's the real world benefit?

Turbo mode overclocks the CPU to 1 GHz, which is mostly of benefit for VPN or high speed Internet connection without HW acceleration. Turbo Mode doesn't work however if you upgraded the bootloader with the Asus DDR update tool.

Turbo mode overclocks the CPU to 1 GHz, which is mostly of benefit for VPN or high speed Internet connection without HW acceleration. Turbo Mode doesn't work however if you upgraded the bootloader with the Asus DDR update tool.

Same light was on again just now, the hardware switch is in the off/out position. Clicking the Stealth Mode radio button in the web interface off then on, and clicking apply, turned it off again.

Turbo Mode doesn't work however if you upgraded the bootloader with the Asus DDR update tool.

I flashed the firmware from your site direct to the router, and although I'm decent (and learning) with home networking, the quote above lost me. I'm going to assume I didn't do that, at least on purpose :eek:

Same light was on again just now, the hardware switch is in the off/out position. Clicking the Stealth Mode radio button in the web interface off then on, and clicking apply, turned it off again.

I will have to see if I can manage to reproduce it.

I flashed the firmware from your site direct to the router, and although I'm decent (and learning) with home networking, the quote above lost me. I'm going to assume I didn't do that, at least on purpose :eek:

Asus released an update tool on their website which is labeled as a DDR Updater. What it does is update the bootloader to a newer version, which allows the DDR to be bumped to 666 MHz when using FW 374_339. However that update breaks Turbo Mode.

Latest .374_339 integration?

My code is based on older Asus code at this time, so it's up to you. For the AC68U, there's a good chance that Asus's current FW will work better as Asus fixed various issues in 291 and 306.

So, I'm caught between having to choose between the latest fixes and features (notably HFS support) and the Merlin firmware (per-IP traffic monitoring, OpenVPN with all the options, overclock support!). So...is there any plans on integrating those features into the latest AC68U build?

So, I'm caught between having to choose between the latest fixes and features (notably HFS support) and the Merlin firmware (per-IP traffic monitoring, OpenVPN with all the options, overclock support!). So...is there any plans on integrating those features into the latest AC68U build?

It's underway. No ETA yet.

NAT loopback with HW acceleration enabled has been taken care of. Looks like I lied - it WAS something that I could fix since the issue was with the kernel :)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/753d561e1096b6cf2701e81c4a46a3a2786bd87b

It will probably need some additional testing to confirm it doesn't create other issues, but so far so good. I got NAT loopback working AND my LAN to WAN speed was over 930 Mbits when I tested it with iperf.

Code:
C:\Users\Merlin\Downloads>iperf -c 192.168.10.100 -M 1400 -N -l 64K -t 30
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.10.100, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[152] local 192.168.1.100 port 3103 connected with 192.168.10.100 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[152]  0.0-30.0 sec  3.27 GBytes    937 Mbits/sec

Last edited:
NAT loopback with HW acceleration enabled has been taken care of. Looks like I lied - it WAS something that I could fix since the issue was with the kernel :)

Great to see progress is being made, I anxiously await the new release! I've noticed the stock firmware runs all smbd instances on the first core, and leaves the second one untouched. Is it possible to disable this feature so that threads execute on alternating cores, either in your firmware or in the stock one?

Great to see progress is being made, I anxiously await the new release! I've noticed the stock firmware runs all smbd instances on the first core, and leaves the second one untouched. Is it possible to disable this feature so that threads execute on alternating cores, either in your firmware or in the stock one?

I believe Asus did this so the primary core will be left untouched to handle stuff like routing.

Hello all, I'm new here. I just bought the AC68N and I realised that the 2.4Ghz N range is really bad. Right in front of the router, the speed for 2.4Ghz N is not too bad, however when I move my laptop further, the speed drops drastically (especially when my laptop is several walls away from the router).
My old routers were all able to hit about 30Mbps using 2.4Ghz N behind several walls, but the Asus AC68N can only hit 5-10Mbps.
Is it a problem with the firmware or hardware of the router?

Hello all, I'm new here. I just bought the AC68N and I realised that the 2.4Ghz N range is really bad

Same issue I am having. 5GHz is fantastic, I have tried all variances of firmware, tried many different settings, same result. I have 8 wireless IP security cameras, with my RT-N66U were never a problem, woeful on this router.