What's new

RT AC68U and windows 11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, and neither will your PC. Hence why you got a 169 address in post #19.

No. Double NAT would only happen if it was configured in router mode.

Just configure it with it connected to your main router. Trying to configure it without that connection just makes things unnecessarily complicated.
i will go with that - thanks

going way beyond anything i understand
Follow Colin's suggestions.
The screen shot shows your PC does not get a proper IP address (and makes one it self in a specific range) because there is no DHCP server, this results in the PC not being able to connect to the router.

[EDIT]
The end of my posts #9 and #11 gave a solution to set the PC IP address to make it work.

i had wondered about the network port on the 11 laptop but i have a 3rd laptop again with windows 11 on it and get the same result - so its really too much to think they are both faulty - the cable is [obviously] another thing that could be faulty but the same cable is fine on the win 10 setup

so the common thing is windows 11 on the 2 laptops

after reset the ip is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is enabled i see that on the windows 10 setup - network port to lan port on router with no other connection - on the 11 computer i cannot access the UI - not tried to ping it and have not changed the computer network settings - thats to look at

but thinking about it i am more confused - allowing for the fact the win11 laptop will not see the router after a reset - it will not see it after it has been set up to access point mode via the win10 setup

to clarify - connect router to win10 laptop - set up wifi ssid and passwords - turn off dhdp and change its internal address to 192.168.0.81 - save at each stage and finally reboot hub - in win10 laptop type 192.168.0.81 in browser - edge - vivaldi - firefox and i get to log in screen - login and i am in UI

move router to win11 laptop and type 192.168.0.81 and i cannot connect - wifi at this moment is turned off on laptop - disconnect lan cable - turn on wifi and i can log into UI - so its the cable connection when i am on windows 11 - its not the port as i can repeat it on 2 different laptops and if i connect either laptop via a cable to my existing network i connect to the internet thus proving the network port and cable are good
So if you turn off dhcp on the windows 10 pc then move out to Windows 11. At that point, dhcp is off and the windows 11 pc interface won't get an IP address assigned by the router. Unless both the router and the connected PC network interfaces have an IP address on the same subnet, they won't communicate. You'll either need dhcp enabled or to manually assign an IP address to the windows 11 pc interface.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!