What's new

RT-AC68U as AiMesh node cuts half LAN speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i do some test and it seems only working with full speed when you flash from a working old firmware.

so i go back to
aimesh router merlin 386.3_2 and aimesh nodes leave on 3.0.0.4.386_48262 = 450 mbps
aimesh router merlin 386.3_2 and aimesh nodes 386.3_2 = 950 mbps

flash from 386.3_2 to 3.0.0.4.386_48262 still on 950 mbps
when you now make a factory reset you got stuck back on 450mbps

so it seems like it takes some old configurations from 386.3_2
RT-AC3100_386.5_2.trx merlin is the same

Hi,

So I have also run into this issue, that the speed on my AC68U was reduced significantly after a upgrading to the latest firmware.

But if I move the cable between my AC86U and AC68U to LAN1 instead of the WAN port my speed is back up.

However this messes up my AIMESH network, so not really a viable solution.

Speed test done with AC86U -> AC68U LAN1
1651860108867.png

Speed test done with AC86U -> AC68U WAN port
1651860148373.png

Last edited:
I'm also having this problem with my RT-AX3000 + AC68U as mesh node with Merlin FW version 386.5_2.

Connecting to the WAN port I get a max of ~500 mbit/sec; moving to the LAN port of the AC68U results in 950+ mbit/sec (but breaks AiMesh). At this point I'm thinking about ditching the AiMesh config.

I'm also having this problem with my RT-AX3000 + AC68U as mesh node with Merlin FW version 386.5_2.

Connecting to the WAN port I get a max of ~500 mbit/sec; moving to the LAN port of the AC68U results in 950+ mbit/sec (but breaks AiMesh). At this point I'm thinking about ditching the AiMesh config.
Is it possible that deep packet inspection is happening on your AIMesh node going out of the WAN port? SSH into your AIMesh Node and run this command to see what it says.
Code:
nvram show | grep -e "bwdpi_"

I have had similar issues with bridge speed but I have tried the AIMech as well.

Are you guys saying that 386.3_2 works?

I have the same issue with 386.5_2 using two ac68u using Ethernet backhaul. I get 980 Mbps on the main and 480-550 Mbps on node using the lan connection. The wireless on the node is faster 600+ Mbps. Hopefully this firmware issue gets figured out because other than this issue it has preformed well.

Latest Merlin Firmware 386.7 fixed it for me. Finally removed the switch and is now connected via the LAN port.

Last edited:
No, it does not work on 68u. At least for bridge mode. Still the same low-speed issues. Did a full reset and still the same problem.

Last edited:
I still have this exact issue on my RT-AC68U set up as node when I use this device as a switch too. Normally I get 940/940 Mbps through a random TP-Link or Netgear switch, but with the RT-AC68U between I get 500/500 at most. Using firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49703 (the latest as we speak).

My current workaround is to put the RT-AC68U behind the switch, but that gives me another device in use (the switch) that shouldn't have to be there in the first place if the throughput of the RT-AC68U was fine.

Does someone have any ideas?

I still have this exact issue on my RT-AC68U set up as node when I use this device as a switch too. Normally I get 940/940 Mbps through a random TP-Link or Netgear switch, but with the RT-AC68U between I get 500/500 at most. Using firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49703 (the latest as we speak).

My current workaround is to put the RT-AC68U behind the switch, but that gives me another device in use (the switch) that shouldn't have to be there in the first place if the throughput of the RT-AC68U was fine.

Does someone have any ideas?
Oh wow, downgrading to version 3.0.0.4.386.3_2 (Merlin) solves the problem.

My 68U is running John's fork right now but my ax3000 looks like this.
1666789350922.png

There is no 3.0.0.4 in it.
I believe I tried 386.3_2 on ac68u and it would not still give me the full speed for media bridge. Do you have another "switch" in front of it? I'm not sure what switch are you talking about.

My 68U is running John's fork right now but my ax3000 looks like this.
View attachment 45048

There is no 3.0.0.4 in it.
I believe I tried 386.3_2 on ac68u and it would not still give me the full speed for media bridge. Do you have another "switch" in front of it? I'm not sure what switch are you talking about.
Currently it's Asus RT-AX86U (main router) -> Netgear GS108 (switch) -> Asus RT-AC68U.
It used to be Asus RT-AX86U (main router) -> Netgear GS108 (switch) -> TP-Link TL-SG1005D (switch) -> Asus RT-AC68U.

Now I use the RT-AC68U instead of the TP-Link. I only used the TP-LInk because of the slow RT-AC68U LAN speeds. But in my case that's solved now, so the TP-Link became unnecessary.

Anyone have any update on this issue? I had my router AC68U in storage for a year, now pulled it out in our new house and did a firmware update and had the same issue of dropping speeds to ~500mbps when using it in AI mesh mode as a node. Flash the firmware back to the old version (recommended above) and it fixes the issue.

Factory reset and back to the slow speeds. Has anyone figured out a more permanent fix on the latest firmware?

Thanks!

Anyone have any update on this issue? I had my router AC68U in storage for a year, now pulled it out in our new house and did a firmware update and had the same issue of dropping speeds to ~500mbps when using it in AI mesh mode as a node. Flash the firmware back to the old version (recommended above) and it fixes the issue.

Factory reset and back to the slow speeds. Has anyone figured out a more permanent fix on the latest firmware?

Thanks!
It would help if you included the main router's model that is controlling your AiMesh nodes.

Seems the current general recommendation by some here is if one is using the AX series routers as their main router; to not use the RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node due to apparently limiting the WiFi capabilities on the main AX series router (for example see this post). Instead the suggestion is to configure the RT-AC68U for AP (Access Point) mode rather than as an AiMesh node.

Last edited:
It would help if you included the main router's model that is controlling your AiMesh nodes.

Seems the current general recommendation by some here is if one is using the AX series routers as their main router; to not use the RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node due to apparently limiting the WiFi capabilities on the main AX series router (for example see this post). Instead the suggestion is to configure the RT-AC68U for AP (Access Point) mode rather than as an AiMesh node.

Using RT-AC68R for the main router - with the RT-AC68U as the AI mesh node. Ethernet backhaul. If I use an old firmware get 700-800 mbps (up and down) on a Ookla browser speedtest on a ethernet wired computer to the node - upgrade to any recent firmware and getting capped at 500 mbps.

Thanks!