What's new

RT-AC68U Bricked after updating to 386.2_6 from 386.2_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

merly

New Around Here
Hi,
Does anyone know how to unbrick a RT-AC68U? I have been using ASUSWRT-MERLIN on it for about 3 years, slowly upgrading the firmware about twice a year. When I tried to upgrade to 386.2_6 from 386.2_4, it failed the first time, but then I re-tried and it appeared to have been successfully upgraded. I followed the usual instructions and manually restarted the router, and then it's been bricked ever since.
  • I am 100% it is the correct firmware (verified by looking in my download folder).
  • I am unable to telnet or SSH into the device.
  • No ping reponse from the original IP address or 192.168.1.0, 192.168.0.1, router.asus.com (no web GUI for all of these IPs, either)
  • None of the LAN port LEDs light up when I connect my computer to the LAN ports via cable.
  • For the most part, just the Power LED is on (goes from solid to slow flash)
  • Every minute or so, all the LEDs flash briefly, then the device seems to be resetting.
  • Hard reset with 10/10/10 doesn't work.
  • Hard reset with the reset button doesn't work.
  • Hard reset with the WPS button doesn't work.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to revive my bricked router? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hint. I couldn't find the CFE Mini Web firmware on that webpage. Am I able to directly flash the latest version of ASUSWRT-Merlin?

Last edited:
Your hardware is not supported when running unauthorized firmware on these forums.

On my Asus ax86u (not the same model I know), the router is coming with a different scope by default.192.168.50.0/24 with 192.168.50.1 being the router in its initial / factory default config.

I think this is the new default network for Asus routers so it might be on yours too.

Thanks for all the help. Besides having a temporarily bricked router, it turns out network port on my laptop was going haywire. Fixed the port, saved the router ... I was able to flash the latest Merlin firmware without difficulties

Your hardware is not supported when running unauthorized firmware on these forums.
Can I ask how do you know if someone is running unauthorized firmware based upon the first post? My 68U has gone crazy once before after a firmware update and I had to use the cfe webpage as well…FYI it’s a legit device so I guess it happens to these as well.

You edited your post 28 minutes ago where you had stated you were running a 'converted T-Mobile' model.

Your first post has nothing to do with this.

See also post 5 which clearly shows what other people read too.

You edited your post 28 minutes ago where you had stated you were running a 'converted T-Mobile' model.

Your first post has nothing to do with this.

See also post 5 which clearly shows what other people read too.
Ok I see or guess I didn't see that part about the T-Mobile when replying to your response. I didn't notice anything about that in the original post but he must of editied before I read. Thanks for the heads up L&LD. Cheers