What's new

RT-AC68U DHCP Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banger

What is best practice for setting up the DHCP lease time on the above router? Currently I have it set to the maximum which is 7 days. I have one wired machine on LAN 1 which is never off and 3 Amazon speakers on 2.4 which are never off although drop out now and again and stop my audio stream and 2 PCs on 5ghz which are also always on. Uncle google says 7 days so that's why I changed it but just wondering if anyone can offer advice.

What is best practice for setting up the DHCP lease time on the above router? Currently I have it set to the maximum which is 7 days. I have one wired machine on LAN 1 which is never off and 3 Amazon speakers on 2.4 which are never off although drop out now and again and stop my audio stream and 2 PCs on 5ghz which are also always on. Uncle google says 7 days so that's why I changed it but just wondering if anyone can offer advice.

What's wrong with the default value? Looks like 24 hours on my 86U.

OE

Speakers keep dropping out so was trying to make the amount of time that the speakers ask for a new IP longer so as not to disturb my audio streams. Yes originally 24 hours just trying to diagnose speaker dropouts.

I set mine to 7 days and never had an issue, although having said that there's no real need for me to move away from the default, as anything that needs to get the same IP every time has a reservation set, and anything else doesn't really matter.

24 hours is perfectly fine, but 7 days is also perfectly fine... I'd say just leave it on 7 days to see if it's the cause of your speaker disconnects.

If you've got hundreds of devices connecting to a small scope then long leases are a bad idea, but for a home network there's really no harm.

I have also reserved the IPs for the speakers to minimize time requesting new lease see if that has anything to do with it.

I've run a 12 hour DHCP lease time for years and never see any devices randomly disconnect or drop-off either the 2.4 or 5 GHz networks when in use, whether using a reserved IP or taking one from the DHCP pool. We have an Amazon Echo Dot on the 2.4 band with unreserved IP that stays connected without any issues.

Yes I had doubts it was DHCP lease. Another possibility is the new Krook fix where a new key is issued randomly for Broadcom chipsets and that resets the wifi. Other possibilities are that the scheduler is kicking in even when not set. So far Wifi analyser sees an uptime of 1 day on my 5ghz and 2 days on my 2.4 ghz. This is how I am tracking wifi uptime but it seems when the wifi drops it also renews clients according to the DHCP log.

Further info at the above thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!