What's new

RT-AC68U DLNA server fubar?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chris2kari

Occasional Visitor
Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Enabled the DLNA server which appeared to work beautifully for Wireless clients (iPhones, iPads) on my LAN then 24 hours later the server suddenly stops being visible to clients. No more DLNA server (frowny face).

I noticed enabling the DLNA server RAM usage shoots up from a peaceful 50Mb to over 95%. I assume this is some kind of indexing going on but concerned that its gonna impact the normal operation of the router.

Tested with latest available stock & Merlin FW.

Is this normal (LOL!), i.e should I stop looking for a fix?
Have I defective RT-AC68U?

C2k

It seems despite its linux roots this device has Windoze disease - Enable DLNA server, reboot. Disabel DLNA server, reboot.. at least it works then.

Acessing it with two (2) Western digital MyTV Live clients seemed to overload the ofiicial ASUS FW but work ok with the Merlin FW. Clould be my imagination.. no further prob's since Flashing with MerlinWRT.

Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Enabled the DLNA server which appeared to work beautifully for Wireless clients (iPhones, iPads) on my LAN then 24 hours later the server suddenly stops being visible to clients. No more DLNA server (frowny face).
Try it with IGMP Snooping disabled. On Wireless/Professional for wireless or LAN/IPTV for wired clients.

Try it with IGMP Snooping disabled. On Wireless/Professional for wireless or LAN/IPTV for wired clients.
Nope that didnt help but I appreciate the effort. IGMP Proxy & Snooping both "Disabled".

I had an external a Seagate 2Tb Hard disk formatted to NTFS for the DLNA mini server.

After the DLNA went 'poof' I looked in the logs & saw a lot of messages complaining about inodes.

I tried running the disk check in FW on the attached NTFS disk but saw it complaining on repeated runs.

Next I tried attaching a different brand exernal 2Gb Tochiba formatted for NTFS, same problem.

Next I tried formatting the both disks to EXT3 (hey its a Linux server running in the FW right?)

Checking the disk in FW threw an error & it cheerfully nuked the journals back to EXT2.
Confirmed on both disks. Shudder! :eek:

I conclude that the mini DLNA server supplied by ASUS is useless & dangerous.

So now I search around for the info on how to substitute a debian mini DNLA onto this device to see if it works any better.

Will report back

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!