What's new

News RT-AC68U End of Life Announced by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know it may be silly to ask but is there a possible chance that the RT-AC68U may receive one more firmware security fix release similar to how the RT-AC86U received a firmware release (3.0.0.4.386_51925) last week despite it being on the EOL list?

Not trying to be a jerk, but is there any point? Is there a function you think might be fixed, or security update that is highly important?

I know it may be silly to ask but is there a possible chance that the RT-AC68U may receive one more firmware security fix release similar to how the RT-AC86U received a firmware release (3.0.0.4.386_51925) last week despite it being on the EOL list?
Doubt anyone here will know since Asus generally does not respond on this website and may not even monitor this site. As such its all speculation and guessing. If they do issue new firmware to address specific security vulnerabilities or fixes, great. But one shouldn't expect it to happen for any router on the EOL list.

Is there a function you think might be fixed, or security update that is highly important?

The last security update was actually in May 2023. The latest firmware fixes only Trend Micro DCD crashes.

Quite a few things were left broken. Depending on what you use - may see the issues right away or never:

One final update with at least Firewall settings fixed will be highly appreciated by RT-AC68U owners. 🤝

Last edited:
It got firmware update not only for bug fixes, but also for new (AiMesh etc.) features, and that is for 10 years. It is an amazing router.

Last edited:
I am also reading the posts about the RT-AX86U-Pro, I did have one as potential replacement for the RT-AC68U.
One simple reason: they share a similar decent housing that perfectly fit at the location of my router.
The second reason was the "Pro" promises and outlook to the next Asuswrt firmware generation.
In other words: it looked like the ideal long term successor, in real it performed bad and I returned it.
For what ever reason ASUS seems have decided else and I do not dare yet to purchase one again with the risk it will be EOL soonish.
ASUS shall realize there are at least two sort of clients:
  1. Those who do not need the latest, greatest and fastest (read: bulky) but hope for something that can work for a reasonable time including firmware updates.
  2. Those who always need the latest, greatest and fastest.
I guess the RT-AC68U owner is of category 1 and knows the thing has a certain lifetime, but is now in doubt what a good replacement is.
Let's hope ASUS is not considering a new Asuswrt with subscription options like the competition (e.g. netgear) is doing.

[EDIT] The RT-AX59U would form-fit also be suitable, and the price is half of the RT-AX86U-Pro, I guess though the 59 is one that will have a short support life span.

Last edited:
I am also reading the posts about the RT-AX86U-Pro, I did have one as potential replacement for the RT-AC68U.
One simple reason: they share a similar decent housing that perfectly fit at the location of my router.
The second reason was the "Pro" promises and outlook to the next Asuswrt firmware generation.
In other words: it looked like the ideal long term successor, in real it performed bad and I returned it.
For what ever reason ASUS seems have decided else and I do not dare yet to purchase one again with the risk it will be EOL soonish.
  1. Those who do not need the latest, greatest and fastest (read: bulky) but hope for something that can work for a reasonable time including firmware updates.
I guess the RT-AC68U owner is of category 1 and knows the thing has a certain lifetime, but is now in doubt what a good replacement is.
Let's hope ASUS is not considering a new Asuswrt with subscription options like the competition (e.g. netgear) is doing.

[EDIT] The RT-AX59U would form-fit also be suitable, and the price is half of the RT-AX86U-Pro, I guess though the 59 is one that will have a short support life span.
You can read my posts about the ExpertWifi line of products especially if your are client #1. They are on the latest version of firmware and support VLAN (with caveats). I currently have two ac68's working as mesh nodes on that series.

I'm also considering the RT-AX86U-Pro. However I won't purchase it until I know whether it will likely be discontinued. I'm not in any rush as a new firmware was just released for the EOL RT-AC68U - there is no rush. Does anyone know if the RT-AX86U-Pro will be around for a while and if 3.0.0.6 firmware will be released? I assume we'll just have to wait and see...

I have the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC86U. Both served me well as my main router for a few years. The 86 dropped the WAN speed down to 100 for some reason and no amount of resetting would solve it, I guess a hardware fault. They now sit in a cupboard as spare AiMesh nodes, I guess they will continue to be safe if used as nodes in the future, if the main router is currently supported by Asus?

Does anyone know if the RT-AX86U-Pro will be around for a while and if 3.0.0.6 firmware will be released? I assume we'll just have to wait and see...
Number of people have been asking these same/similar questions:
RT-AX86U Pro firmware - will it get 3.0.0.6?

Only Asus can say for certain what their support plans are. For now everyone is speculating, guessing, and hoping. The AX86U Pro will likely eventually get a non beta release of the 3.0.0.6.x firmware. When is anyone's guess unless an Asus employee chimes in.

Last edited:
It's purely marketing driven support and development. Asus made Asuswrt 5.0 3.0.0.6 work on what is basically RT-AC86U (EBG15/19) and RT-AX58U (EBR63) hardware first... for the Wi-Fi Experts, with full features and new WebUI. Wi-Fi Professionals who paid in advance a year ago for better hardware will wait and get less features and old WebUI in the end. Wi-Fi Consumers will find their routers on EoL list, if not already there.