What's new

RT-AC68U v4 Discontinued by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Overview in the AC topic is updated

Off topic, but that design makes me curious about current AX hardware such as BCM6710.

I noticed this specific design uses the main CPU to a higher extent than my previous GT-AC2900(AC86U) with its BCM4365E.. which is confirmed to have it's own 800mhz A7 as a "NPU/NSS". Qualcomm has the same, except its on the main CPU (800mhz + 1.7ghz A7) for popular ACW2 designs such as IPQ8065 + QCA9984.

I wonder if Broadcom gave up on putting A7 cores in anything other than their highest end AX radio IE: BCM6715/BCM43684.

Would make sense given 4912 (16nm 2ghz quad core) theoretically replaces 4906/4908. Not much to worry about relative to a newer SoC (675X) Quad which I imagine pools resources, at least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.

6705 (2x2) also exist somewhere as it was registered with FCC, but Broadcom never brought it to market.. Similar to BCM43698.. which was an 8x8 radio, or so marketing indicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
A V3 version is indeed not listed in the table, for a simple reason I was not aware of a V3 version.
I won't bother too much, they released the same router with different names, and version codes.
The V4 was a major difference compared to the "Classic" model and the initial variants.
Can you open the router and have a look inside to find the CPU type, memory size and Radio chips types? ;)

A V3 version is indeed not listed in the table, for a simple reason I was not aware of a V3 version.
I won't bother too much, they released the same router with different names, and version codes.
The V4 was a major difference compared to the "Classic" model and the initial variants.
Can you open the router and have a look inside to find the CPU type, memory size and Radio chips types? ;)

V3 is MSQ-RTACIB00

BCM4708C0 + 4360 x2

Idk bout major.. its just a main CPU swap, granted 4906 isn't usually paired with older gen1 Radios. BCM4906 came out with Wave 2 more or less.

Theres really no need to open a router if its sold in the US. Sites take FCC data and post it, granted there are usually holds on new products. (Photos.)

Last edited by a moderator:

V3 is MSQ-RTACIB00

BCM4708C0 + 4360 x2

Idk bout major.. its just a main CPU swap, granted 4906 isn't usually paired with older gen1 Radios. BCM4906 came out with Wave 2 more or less.

Theres really no need to open a router if its sold in the US. Sites take FCC data and post it, granted there are usually holds on new products. (Photos.)
Thanks and it has internal photos too. So v3 has the same cpu as the v4?

Last edited:
I wonder if Broadcom gave up on putting A7 cores in anything other than their highest end AX radio IE: BCM6715/BCM43684.
I can't be sure, but my guess is that this is the case. Those higher-end radios require uploading a firmware file to them at boot time, while the integrated chips like the 675x and 671x families don't (they use a traditional wl.ko kernel driver to handle wireless).

Idk bout major.. its just a main CPU swap
This also required switching to a completely different SDK (HND 5.02 with kernel 4.1 instead of SDK 6.x with kernel 2.6.36). So at the software level, the difference is quite major as well.

can someone use an eol router for a few more years? asking for a relative. just a simple home network with 3-4 devices.

This v4 router is EOL but the firmware JUST got updated by Asus again anyway. But in general, I wouldn't use an EOL router that's not getting firmware updates for more than 1 year. Many people still do for many years. The risk is relatively low for home users, but it's there and increases as times goes on.

Do you own a V4 and did the 3.0.0.4.386.51255 firmware .trx file also contain this version for the V4?
I would not wonder if after the V4 being EOL, the firmware package would contain the last V4 version (3.0.0.4.386.49703) and the latest version for models still supported.

Do you own a V4 and did the 3.0.0.4.386.51255 firmware .trx file also contain this version for the V4?
I would not wonder if after the V4 being EOL, the firmware package would contain the last V4 version (3.0.0.4.386.49703) and the latest version for models still supported.
I don't know. But a post in this thread stated that the newest firmware applies to the v4:

Apparently some V4s made it out into the wild. Here's your chance to get a piece of history. Interestingly, the manufacture date is 2021.

The Quick Guide in the photo says V3(?)

OE

The Quick Guide in the photo says V3(?)

OE

It is ebay so photo authenticity is a crap-shoot. :) Anyhow, I wasn't actively searching for a V4. I just noticed it when trying to find a cheap AC68U, and it reminded me of this thread.

The sticker on the back of the router in the photo shows V4

Oops, I totally missed the other pics... my error!

OE

We know what end-of-life means. What we are telling you is that ONLY the V4 version (which uses a different firmware) is discontinued. The RT-AC68U V1 thru V3 as well as the RT-AC66U_B1 are not on that list and therefore are not end-of-life yet, and will still receive updates.
If everyone is now agreed that the RT-AC68U v4 was discontinued first:
1) Does anyone have a clue why? and
2) Did firmware updates continue for v1 - v3? For how much longer?
I ask because it appears Asus is actually still selling v3 in their stores(!) and because I have some of both hardware versions. -- JCW3

Last edited:
Does anyone have a clue why?
Most likely because that SKU made little business sense, considering its price and performances compared to numerous low-end AX models that are now available.

Did firmware updates continue for v1 - v3?
Asus still hasn`t announced these being EOL.

I'm sorta baffled Amazon still carries them with a $130 USD price tag.

Amazon must still get this model router and as long as they keep receiving them they can and will offer them for sale. I would assume Asus has stopped making the AC68U.

Most likely because that SKU made little business sense, considering its price and performances compared to numerous low-end AX models that are now available.

Asus still hasn`t announced these being EOL.
Thanks, RMerlin -- FYI, I finally got the following from Asus "Support" (like pulling hens' teeth):

"...our technical team advised that all the RT-AC68U versions have similar performance. v2,3,4 were released due to global chip shortage isses. There are v3 chipset still available and for sale where v4 chipset is no longer available and discontinued."

No date was provided for the discontinuation of v4, as I had asked, but your statement that v3 is still in production was apparently confrmed. Regards -- JCW3

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!