What's new

RT-AC68U v4 Discontinued by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The EOL site clearly states what EOL means:

When a product is end-of-life, it means:
  • It is no longer manufactured
  • Its certification will not be renewed
  • Its firmware, utility, website, DM, QSG and manual will not be updated
  • It may be replaced by a new product with updated hardware and similar functions
If the product/version you are looking for is end-of-life, it is recommended to purchase the latest version or other similar models2. However, an EOL will not change the limited warranty period for hardware.

That all does not imply the product is no longer sold on the market, it will take a while before all stock is purged and these product are still covered by (what ever) warranty.
For products NOT EOL there is never a guarantee it will get firmware updates, you may expect though that the firmware will get security updates ever now and then.
As stated by Merlin, for the RT-AC68 you shall not expect new features, it will stay at major firmware version 3.0.0.4.386 and miss all the bells and whistles from the 3.0.0.4.388 and 3.0.0.6 versions as released for new router models.

Last edited:
That is the same firmware as for the RT-AC66U B1, which is not listed as EOL...does that mean it will continue to get firmware updates?
Not on the list means not EOL (not yet, maybe tomorrow).
Same applies for the RT-AC1900U, which is the same thing as the RT-AC66U B1.

We know what end-of-life means. What we are telling you is that ONLY the V4 version (which uses a different firmware) is discontinued. The RT-AC68U V1 thru V3 as well as the RT-AC66U_B1 are not on that list and therefore are not end-of-life yet, and will still receive updates.
No, it doesn't use a different firmware. Always been same download page, same firmware for all hardware revisions.

That is the same firmware as for the RT-AC66U B1, which is not listed as EOL...does that mean it will continue to get firmware updates?
I believe it's obvious that there will be no further firmware updates for any RT-AC66U since they ALL used the same firmware, from the same download page and firmware revisions have never been mentioned. Some disagree.
and

No, it doesn't use a different firmware. Always been same download page, same firmware for all hardware revisions.
It is a different firmware. As stated above, Asus combined two different firmware images into a single download file. That's why the file size doubled.

Incorrect, ASUS maintains separate pages for those models:
Nevertheless firmware for the above two models is identical to the RT-AC68U "Classic".

As stated before: the firmware file for the RT-AC68U does from a certain version contain two different images for the different hardware versions of the router.
Now the V4 is EOL, a new firmware version file for the RT-AC68U "Classic" may revert back to a single image.

Incorrect, ASUS maintains separate pages for those models:
Nevertheless firmware for the above two models is identical to the RT-AC68U "Classic".

As stated before: the firmware file for the RT-AC68U does from a certain version contain two different images for the different hardware versions of the router.
Now the V4 is EOL, a new firmware version file for the RT-AC68U "Classic" may revert back to a single image.
I hope you're right, but the links you provided are not for the RT-AC68U. They are for the RT-AC66U and the RT-AC1900U.

It`s a different firmware. The file contains two different firmware in it, one for the old V1-V3, and one for the V4 hardware. They both need to be compiled separately from different code, and then the two firmware images are merged together in a single file.
I believe it's obvious that there will be no further firmware updates for any RT-AC66U since they ALL used the same firmware
Nope.. The RT-AC66U_B1 uses the same firmware as the RT-AC68U, it`s completely different hardware from the long-discontinued RT-AC66U.

I should know: I compile firmware images for all of these models, and I actually have all of these routers right here next to me. Well, the RT-AC66U_B1 is actually in the living room, but the RT-AC68U V4 is two meters away from me right now, and there`s an RT-AC68U in a box in the closet right behind me. It`s there specifically because I can do all my RT-AC68U-related development using the RT-AC66U_B1.

Last edited:
I hope you're right, but the links you provided are not for the RT-AC68U. They are for the RT-AC66U and the RT-AC1900U.
I am right, please read this thread:
As said allready the RT-AC66U is a different thing than the RT-AC66U_B1, don't shoot the messenger, we have not named those products.

It`s a different firmware. The file contains two different firmware in it, one for the old V1-V3, and one for the V4 hardware. They both need to be compiled separately from different code, and then the two firmware images are merged together in a single file.

Nope.. The RT-AC66U_B1 uses the same firmware as the RT-AC68U, it`s completely different hardware from the long-discontinued RT-AC66U.

I should know: I compile firmware images for all of these models, and I actually have all of these routers right here next to me. Well, the RT-AC66U_B1 is actually in the living room, but the RT-AC68U V4 is two meters away from me right now, and there`s an RT-AC68U in a box in the closet right behind me.
I hope you're right. But I find it very odd that Asus discontinued the latest hw revision and kept the older ones which they will continue to support. Possible, but weird. I hope you're right as we have v3's. We won't know for sure until Asus either classifies the situation or puts up a new firmware page that says firmware for all RT-AC66U's except v4 (sorry v4).

I should know: I compile firmware images for all of these models, and I actually have all of these routers right here next to me. Well, the RT-AC66U_B1 is actually in the living room, but the RT-AC68U V4 is two meters away from me right now, and there`s an RT-AC68U in a box in the closet right behind me. It`s there specifically because I can do all my RT-AC68U-related development using the RT-AC66U_B1.
Sorry, I just realized - did you say you work for Asus compiling the firmware? It would be awesome if they continue to support the RT-AC66U. :)

Do you also doubt earth is not flat?
Lack of the right chips can be a good reason to discontinue a product, or maybe the failure rate of this V4 was too high, who knows.

I am right, please read this thread:
As said allready the RT-AC66U is a different thing than the RT-AC66U_B1, don't shoot the messenger, we have not named those products.

Was the V4 was just a 4906 based unit with 2x BCM4365E?

If so, it was clearly superior to the gen 1 AC hardware, though ASUS went hardcore on price slashing the AC86U/GT-AC2900 regardless. Likely seemed redundant post covid market.

I hope you're right. But I find it very odd that Asus discontinued the latest hw revision and kept the older ones which they will continue to support. Possible, but weird
It`s odd, but I suspect they discontinued the V4 because they are no longer able to obtain the hardware components for that revision, but they keep supporting previous revisions due to their very large userbase, and also because they are still selling the RT-AC66U_B1. It's a very nice router at its price point (under $100) for someone who just wants basic Wifi to browse the web and access his email.

Sorry, I just realized - did you say you work for Asus compiling the firmware? It would be awesome if they continue to support the RT-AC66U.
I don`t work for them, but I am in regular contact with them since I develop a third party firmware for their routers. They provided me with device samples for me to develop on, and also with source code to use in my project.

It`s odd, but I suspect they discontinued the V4 because they are no longer able to obtain the hardware components for that revision, but they keep supporting previous revisions due to their very large userbase, and also because they are still selling the RT-AC66U_B1. It's a very nice router at its price point (under $100) for someone who just wants basic Wifi to browse the web and access his email.

I don`t work for them, but I am in regular contact with them since I develop a third party firmware for their routers. They provided me with device samples for me to develop on, and also with source code to use in my project.
Oh, that Merlin. :) Thanks. It's nice that Asus provides source code. I really wanted to get a few more years of life out of our RT-AC68U v3's...

I never received clear information of what hardware is in the V4.
Maybe RMerlin is willing to open the bonnet.

It's fine, I found it.

BCM4906 + 4360 x2 .. Very odd design. Extremely low UNII-1 power output too.

Yeah I just couldn't see this selling well, especially with AX hardware replacing ACW2 price points.

Likely why it never hit market, at least in the west.