What's new

RT-AC68U freezing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

okwestern

Occasional Visitor
My Asus AC68U recently started hanging / freezing for 20-30 seconds at a time. And it does not respond to ping. This happens maybe once a day or something. I see nothing in the logs (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).
Any idea what this could be?

My Asus AC68U recently started hanging / freezing for 20-30 seconds at a time. And it does not respond to ping. This happens maybe once a day or something. I see nothing in the logs (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).
Any idea what this could be?
What firmware are you running? Any additional scripts or swap file installed or running? In other words more information is needed and helpful for others to try and diagnose your issue.

Sorry, I didn't know how much info to post.
It's running latest stable release, and have ever time a new firmware was released. But the problem has been for a while (at least for a few releases).
I did put in a LED script to turn the LED off after boot a few years ago, but I forgot where it is. How do I check?
No swap configured.

Sorry, I didn't know how much info to post.
It's running latest stable release, and have ever time a new firmware was released. But the problem has been for a while (at least for a few releases).
I did put in a LED script to turn the LED off after boot a few years ago, but I forgot where it is. How do I check?
No swap configured.
I also use RT-AC68U. According to what you write, I believe that you did the FW update without using the factory settings. Switching off the LED has been part of the FW merlin for a long time. Perform a factory reset via the WPS button WPS RESET and reconfigure the router...

I also use RT-AC68U. According to what you write, I believe that you did the FW update without using the factory settings. Switching off the LED has been part of the FW merlin for a long time. Perform a factory reset via the WPS button WPS RESET and reconfigure the router...
Emphasis on "reconfigure". Do it by hand. Do not reload any saved config file.

I did one or two updates ago by hand. After a gui factory reset.
I've always thought the gui was laggy, but after this WPS reset, it seems very fast. Perhaps nvram was corrupted.
Let's see if the freeze also disappears.

Very likely due to a dirty upgrade. The RT-AC68U has to be one of the most stable, reliable routers supported by Merlin.

The RT-AC68U is starting to get starved on nvram with its 64 KB. Filling it up may lead to corrupted settings indeed.