What's new

Solved RT-AC68U from 386.3 to .4 or .5 DNS stops working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

astrosteve

New Around Here
I updated to 386.4 a while back, and DNS wouldn't work. After goofing with it a while (and failing to get it to work), I reverted to 386.3 again, and just used that, figuring if it was a bug, maybe it would be fixed. I saw 386.5 came out, and updated again, and DNS stopped working again. I again reverted to 386.3, and this time, DNS is still not working. If I switch my Windows 10 computer to directly go to a DNS of 8.8.8.8, the computer starts working again. I've tried changing several of the router DNS options, and nothing helps. "Connect to DNS server automatically" under WAN tab, and set it to no, and entered, the 8.8.8.8 IP - didn't work. Changing the DNS-over-TLS option off and on, nothing.

I'm able to test with two computers, one that goes directly to DNS 8.8.8.8 so I can research the issue, and one set like normal to automatically get the DNS from the router, so I can test the dns issue. Oh, a ping to 8.8.8.8 works fine. The problem started the second it booted into the new firmware versions 386.4 or 386.5. No VPN is in use. DNS Filter is currently off, but when on, it still didn't work.

A month or two ago I did turn on some of the things I'd never tried before with amtm, Diversion, Skynet, unbound Manager, FlexQoS. I just tried disabling Diversion and Skynet, that didn't change my DNS issue.

Any ideas? I super appreciate any help - thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be time to upgrade to the current version and do a full reset.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Then follow the steps in the link below.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

This should get your router back to a good/known state.

Before doing the above, be sure to remove all USB drives and don't plug in any drives you had enabled for amtm until you format them on a PC first. Save those files first, if you must (or just use a new USB drive), but you want a full clean install on the whole router/network setup without using any saved backup config files or 'blindly' using old features, scripts or options that worked 'once upon a time'.

A month or two ago I did turn on some of the things I'd never tried before with amtm, Diversion, Skynet, unbound Manager, FlexQoS. I just tried disabling Diversion and Skynet, that didn't change my DNS issue.
Given that Unbound is a replacement for the router's DNS server that would be the first thing I would try removing.

Given that Unbound is a replacement for the router's DNS server that would be the first thing I would try removing.
Ah! Thanks a ton Colin. That was it. When I was checking out the different amtm packages a while back, I wonder if I disabled that Unbound and then when I rebooted the router with the new firmware it became enabled again? By the time I did the firmware update, I forgot what Unbound was. Anyway, I uninstalled that, and all is working again. Thanks!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!