What's new

RT-AC68U - LED,s not right

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I just got a new RT AC 68 U ( I know that it's an old model but I wanted it for a specific firmware) After setting it up I noticed that the 5 GHz LED is not on or working and the USB 2.0 LED is on . The 5 GHz radio is working just the LED isn't. Is this a particular problem with these routers? Should I send it back? It wasn't very expensive but it is brand new it even came in a sealed box so I am a bit peeved
PS the button to turn off the LED,s don't work either

What "specific firmware"? Maybe that firmware has bugs in it. Have you tried other firmwares?
The firmware is from express VPN. I thought I would flash back to stock firmware and see if it is the router or firmware but I thought I'd ask you guys if it is a quirk of the model.
Kids are over watching stranger things now so I will try tomorrow thanks

The firmware is from express VPN. I thought I would flash back to stock firmware and see if it is the router or firmware but I thought I'd ask you guys if it is a quirk of the model.
Kids are over watching stranger things now so I will try tomorrow thanks

Check if your AC68U is a v4. If it is, it isn’t supported, but maybe it wouldn’t have installed if that was the case.

This tutorial will show you how to set up ExpressVPN on Asus routers.

ExpressVPN is supported on the following Asus router models:

• RT-AC68U (up to v3)

Contacted express VPN support and yes Colin was on the money it is a known issue for this router with express VPN firmware. It doesn't affect anything just the wrong LED lights up thanks guys

What this special ExpressVPN firmware does and what Asuswrt firmware release it is based on?

What this special ExpressVPN firmware does and what Asuswrt firmware release it is based on?
It's just a VPN router for dummies, like me, it just makes it easier to sort what you want to go through a VPN server and what you don't. I suppose it's based on the stock firmware that comes installed on the RT AC 68 U . It just makes it so easy, you set up columns eg US VPN Australia VPN no VPN and just click on the device you want and drag it to the column of your choice. My main reason for buying it is I can set up my Roku devices directly to it . I know you guys can direct what you want to go through a VPN tunnel and what you don't want but I needed a second router to replace an old tp Link so I bought this. Kill two birds with the one stone,so to speak. I'm no Tech expert I'm sure you know by now so it was just the easiest way for me. PS besides I wanted a new toy, that is what the column,s look like and you can make as many as you want I think

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-130051.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-130051.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
When you go to the GUI, what does it say at the top for firmware version?

1654979891631.png

It may be convenient, but older Asuswrt version missing many security updates.

When you go to the GUI, what does it say at the top for firmware version?

View attachment 41761

It may be convenient, but older Asuswrt version missing many security updates.
It replaces the stock Gul The firmware is express VPN,s firmware . I thought,as it's an express VPN firmware and I have everything going through a VPN server it would be safe ? It is not the main router I have a RT AC 88 U as the ppoe gateway and the 68 U plugged in to a LAN port . I was surprised when I flashed it because I assumed that, like Merlin firmware,it would use the stock Gul and enhance it but it totally replaces it. Now that I've had a couple of days to play with it I like it . It's more like an app now as in I get the same speed I get using the express VPN app for Android phones and it just works on all the streaming channels I use without any hiccups or being detected ( up yours Netflix) . When streaming using an express VPN location on my RT AC 88 U from time to time I get the dredded error message,, you may be using a VPN or proxy server turn it off and try again,, not with the 68 U and the express firmware

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-095805.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-095805.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have this router model anymore to experiment with this firmware.
I still need to have an account with express VPN obviously but because it's plugged in to the AC 88 U it just counts as one of the 5 devices allowed and you can have as many clients running through it as you want. I know express VPN is an expensive VPN provider but I pay annually so it's not too bad

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!