What's new

RT-AC68U, Merlin 380.58 need to restart the router every few days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I didn't change anything about the location of the log (I assumed that the firmware is smart enough to delete older entries when needed). I'll disable it to see if that helps.
Yes, thinking about it, you are correct. The log file gets reset after 256k IIRC. But it's probably best to leave it disabled for the time being because otherwise you won't see any genuine error messages.

When the problem occurs again try ssh'ing into the router and running "top". Also check the syslog for any clues.

Yes, thinking about it, you are correct. The log file gets reset after 256k IIRC. But it's probably best to leave it disabled for the time being because otherwise you won't see any genuine error messages.

When the problem occurs again try ssh'ing into the router and running "top". Also check the syslog for any clues.

thanks
I managed to find how to ssh the router but how do I check the syslog ?

Some update about RT-AC68 needing restart after a while.

Still on Merlin 378.55
I disabled the Traffic Analizer/Statistic and uptime lasted about 20 days (not bad but still became unresponsive and had to restart it)
I re enabled Traffic Analizer/Statistic a few days ago and had to restart after 2 days only !

I'm still looking for a FW version, Merlin or not, with which I can have an OpenVPN server, QoS/bandwidth throttling for specific devices (mainly preventing youtube upload bandwidth hogging), some Time Scheduling, Traffic statistic (mainly to see which device was active at what time)
… that I can pretty much forget about it and know it will keep running for months/forever.

Does such a thing exists or am I dreaming ?

Does such a thing exists or am I dreaming ?

Apple routers can run for months without reboot. Since nothing to tinker and firmware also stable (way less update)...people just forget about it. I used to have one running for over a year. Maybe you shall try something else like ubnt/microtik..

For Asus, if you haven't tried, disable CTF for absolute stability.

Apple routers can run for months without reboot. Since nothing to tinker and firmware also stable (way less update)...people just forget about it. I used to have one running for over a year. Maybe you shall try something else like ubnt/microtik..

For Asus, if you haven't tried, disable CTF for absolute stability.

already have NAT acceleration turned off
but thanks anyway.

already have NAT acceleration turned off
but thanks anyway.

Too bad.. CTF disable can't rescue the situation as I found it generally cures lots of mysterious issues.

When you run past next occasion of 10 days, could you check preinit, watchdog, and httpd or any other processes using 'exceptionally' more memory. htop available from Entware-ng is a nice tool for this task. Might not resolve ur issue but I'm curious..

When you run past next occasion of 10 days, could you check preinit, watchdog, and httpd or any other processes using 'exceptionally' more memory. htop available from Entware-ng is a nice tool for this task. Might not resolve ur issue but I'm curious..

Why not but you'll have to explain to me how to do this.

Why not but you'll have to explain to me how to do this.

You'll have to install Entware-ng. After that install a package called htop from Entware-ng repository. Instructions here: https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/wiki/Install-on-RMerlin-firmware

I prefer htop to the Busybox top because it has color and provides more info. Here is a screenshot of mine:

ss.png

mmmh… I'm not sure I'm ready to go through all this.
Seems like lots of steps with formatting usb drive to ext2/ext3 partitions, etc.
I'm using os X. This feels like doing a live autopsy on a sick RT-AC68U.
I need simple steps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!