What's new

RT-AC68U OpenVPN with only local traffic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BosseSwede

Regular Contributor
I have networks in my home and in the summer home.
At home I have fiber 250/100 since 8 years and in the summer home I have data limited Mobile 4G Internet via a TP-Link MR600 router.
Now we will get fiber also to the summer home and I would like to connect the summer home via VPN to my home network but only for communications with the devices on the home network. This is in order to give all summer home devices access to the NAS and Kodi media server at home without having to individually setting up a VPN connection.
All traffic towards the Internet (i.e not towards the 192.168.119.xxx network) should still go via the local router to the Internet.

I plan on using an Asus RT-AC68U router at the summer home.
It is the one I have used at home until that got replaced by an Asus RT-AC86U in January.
So this is Asus to Asus but the VPN server is on my home network and has two entrypoints, one with full VPN service including traffic to the Internet and the other (on a different port) only handling locak home network traffic.

My questions are:
1) Is the RT-AC68U capable of running a VPN without trying to channel ALL traffic via the tunnel?
2) Has someone here done anything similar to this and can share experience?

So this is Asus to Asus but the VPN server is on my home network and has two entrypoints, one with full VPN service including traffic to the Internet and the other (on a different port) only handling local home network traffic.
You already have this set up.

Yes, server side I am all set. I just have to add a new client with certificates and all targeting the split tunnel port.
But that was not really my question, it was specifically about how the Asus RT-AC68U will handle it when I activate the VPN option in the configuration.
Will it act like any other computer even though it is a router/gateway and use the VPN channel ONLY for traffic to the local network on the VPN server side and send everything else out to the local fiber connection at the summer home?
Or will it believe that *everything* must go into the tunnel if I activate VPN usage?
So it is a specific Asus RT-AC68U router VPN question...

Will it act like any other computer even though it is a router/gateway and use the VPN channel ONLY for traffic to the local network on the VPN server side and send everything else out to the local fiber connection at the summer home?
Yes (unless you configure the client to override that option being pushed to it from the server). The server pushes routes to the client. It can be configured to push a route only for its LAN, or it can push a default route for all client traffic,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!