What's new

RT-AC68U reporting 1 ghz CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Little bit off topic but I've noticed the official firmwares for RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900P are binary identical:
RT-AC1900P_3.0.0.4_380_3831-g93dfe8c.trx = RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_3831-g93dfe8c.trx

That is also why RMerlin's firmware for the RT-AC1900P is usable too. :)

Alright, my new RT-AC1900P is working good, better CPU/RAM speeds :)

cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 72 C
wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
55 (0x37)
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
53 (0x35)
nvram show | grep clk
clkfreq=1400,800

Alright, my new RT-AC1900P is working good, better CPU/RAM speeds :)

cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 72 C
wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
55 (0x37)
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
53 (0x35)
nvram show | grep clk
clkfreq=1400,800
I wished I could get AC1900P as well, but I bought mine for a while already. It's good that you can change from C1(800MHz) to AC1900P, which is way faster:).

Is it fine-safe to install AsusMerlin on 68U E1?

I bought an RT-AC68U rev E1 a couple of days ago and successfully flashed the latest stable Merlin. I haven't done a thorough testing (flashed just 30 minutes ago) but everything seem to be working.

UPDATE 1:
Nvm... It's working. I just didn't hold it down long enough (and/or press hard enough) when I tried earlier.
The LED On/Off button is not working (LEDs can't be turned off).

Last edited:
I bought an RT-AC68U rev E1 a couple of days ago and successfully flashed the latest stable Merlin. I haven't done a thorough testing (flashed just 30 minutes ago) but everything seem to be working.

What do you get on the Sysinfo page regarding the CPU?

What do you get on the Sysinfo page regarding the CPU?

URAZWZi.png

UPDATE 1:
Nvm... It's working. I just didn't hold it down long enough (and/or press hard enough) when I tried earlier.
The LED On/Off button is not working (LEDs can't be turned off).
Thanx, I installed also after you, seems ok.

Thanx, I installed also after you, seems ok.

Press and hold for about 1 sec. Also, try pressing a bit harder. Or you could try "Stealth Mode (disable all LEDs)" under "Tools > Other Settings > Miscellaneous Options".

I just had my A1 replaced by an E1. Is mine faulty or they removed the led lighting on the transparent ASUS logo bit on the back? on the A1 it lights up when the leds are ON, but not on the E1. Also noticed they replaced the on/off switch by a simpler trigger button.

I just had my A1 replaced by an E1. Is mine faulty or they removed the led lighting on the transparent ASUS logo bit on the back? on the A1 it lights up when the leds are ON, but not on the E1. Also noticed they replaced the on/off switch by a simpler trigger button.

Those changes were initially made with HW revision C1.

SLT & blades, how is behaving so far Merlin on your AC68U rev E1?
it goes ok. For a week (with original F/W) I had it as an AP, later I changed to Merlins and to Wireless router mode.
In both cases no problem connecting Ubuntu, Android and windows 7 to the outside world, seems so stable.

Works just fine, no complaint's.
Just received my E1 from Amazon. Interestingly I'm in the UK. Never heard of anything past A2 in the UK before. Glad I waited!!

I'm going to install Merlin and will report back!

Cheers

Will.

Last edited:
Would you say it's ok to install your custom firmware on the E1 RMerlin? Do you notice much of a difference between the C1 and E1?

Thanks very much.

Will

I have no technical details about the E1 revision, only that it seems to be fully compatible so far.

Installed the latest 380.64 today on the E1 and all running well and fast in router mode! Will report back in a few weeks once it has been going for a while...

Cheers

Will.

Installed the latest 380.64 today on the E1 and all running well and fast in router mode! Will report back in a few weeks once it has been going for a while...

Cheers

Will.

Been running with 380.64 of Merlin for a month non-stop now... No problems at all, so far!

I just bought a new RT-AC68U and the revision is B1. I flashed to Merlin 378.56_2 and did a factory reset. Under Tools -> SysInfo it reports that the CPU Frequency is 1000 Mhz and HW acceleration Enabled (CTF + FA). I searched the forums and know there was a bug in earlier firmware which reported incorrect HW acceleration support but I did a factory reset after upgrading so NVRAM should be cleared.

I thought the U version of the router is supposed to have the BCM4708 which does not support FA and is only clocked at 800 mhz. Is the firmware reporting incorrect CPU information? Is Asus using a higher clocked version of the BCM4708 or did they simply standardize on the BCM4709 for more streamlined production reasons?

I couldn't find a way to get the CPU model information via software. dmesg doesn't produce any useful CPU identifiers.

Most likely new revision. Like the AC66u B1 is pretty much the same as the AC68U except having the newer faster CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk