What's new

RT-AC68U reporting 1 ghz CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin's Tools section shows this on mine:
CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 800 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.15, 0.05, 0.06

LOL, just re-read thread.. really didn't need to post this.

Last edited:
Merlin's Tools section shows this on mine:
CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 800 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.15, 0.05, 0.06

LOL, just re-read thread.. really didn't need to post this.
What revision do you have? I have C1, and I entered nvram get clkfreq and I got 1000,666 which I supposed it means 1GHz while cat /proc/cpuinfo shows ARMv7 Processor rev 0(v71) as same as you but the value below is 1990 sth.

What revision do you have? I have C1, and I entered nvram get clkfreq and I got 1000,666 which I supposed it means 1GHz while cat /proc/cpuinfo shows ARMv7 Processor rev 0(v71) as same as you but the value below is 1990 sth.

I have Rev A2 and nvram get clkfreq shows 800,666.

RT-AC68W from Amazon, shows hardware revision B1 on the box. CFE is 1.1.1.2
Code:
0:ccode = Q2
0:regrev = 33
clkfreq = 1000,666

Can also confirm it will not load firmware prior to 380 level.

I just picked up a Revision C1, RT-AC68U and it's 800Mhz ...

nvram get clkfreq

nvram get bl_version

Weird?

I just picked up a Revision C1, RT-AC68U and it's 800Mhz ...

nvram get clkfreq
nvram get bl_version
Weird?
Yes, weird, is both box and router show C1 revision? Can you ask for replacement?

Yes, both the box and unit show HW C1,
This was from Staples In Canada ...

I could possibly replace it but I'm guessing the others will be same,
Maybe asus changed speeds after latest firmware upgrade?

Yes, both the box and unit show HW C1,
This was from Staples In Canada ...

I could possibly replace it but I'm guessing the others will be same,
Maybe asus changed speeds after latest firmware upgrade?
I don't think speed would change by different firmware. I, myself, have revision C1 and it is running at 1000MHz with Bootloader(CFE 1.1.1.2).

Choose B1 (BCM4709 1GHZ), A1/A2 is still the old CPU BCM4708 at 800mhz.

C1 will be out soon its also a BCM4709 1GHZ but a new CPU revision, it will only work with FW versions = or > to 380.
This possibly mean that you have revision A1/A2.

B1 got BCM4909 instead of bcm4908 and new skyworks amp for 5GHz

C1 should add to this with new 5GHz and 2.4GHz chips should be 2 BCM43602 which will have there own CPU to offload wifi processing from the CPU (im exited and am probably going to want one of these)
So you may not have new 5GHz amp and no separate WiFi CPU to help the main CPU.

If your 5GHz is running fine, and router doesn't struggle to achieve your maximum bandwidth, then it should be fine.

Or maybe try ask for a replace to see if the other one is any different.

Here is the link to discussion about different revisions: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-hardware-version-a2-or-b1.29299/

Strange that it says C1 (sealed box) and yet it would be A1/B1,
It also says manufacture date 2016, firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3264
380 firmware makes me think they downclocked, but then it
should show Flow acceleration under network and it doesn't ...

It's starting to sound like the C1 designation is primarily a board rev level...and they then can populate it with different hardware components, depending on what is available.

Damn, ordered another one but this time got an A2 - no point unboxing it :)
It also says manufacture date 2016, and firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3264

Damn, ordered another one but this time got an A2 - no point unboxing it :)
It also says manufacture date 2016, and firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3264
Where did you purchase your routers? Can you request the seller to send you rev C1? Why is Asus manufacturing A2 version still?

Where did you purchase your routers? Can you request the seller to send you rev C1? Why is Asus manufacturing A2 version still?
At least in e.g. the Netherlands it is still only the A2 / manufactured in 2016 version which all stores do sell (if I am wrong I like to hear from another dutchie).
After months hoping for fresh supply I decided to buy my A2 version RT-AC68U. Nothing wrong with it, I am enjoying excellent 802.11ac wireless performance, and the still good old 802.11n on both bands.
I guess it has to do with type approval per country or region.
Next week they release the RT-AC1900 revD, don't you worry ;)

The better question is rather why Asus suddenly switched to a faster CPU with revision C1. The most logical explanation has to do with supply chains. Could be that there was a shortage of the previous CPU, or they had a discount on a large batch of the faster CPU for some of their assembly lines.

Beside fixing bugs, hardware revisions are usually about reducing costs, not the opposite. Otherwise, they would launch a new product, and price it higher.

The better question is rather why Asus suddenly switched to a faster CPU with revision C1. The most logical explanation has to do with supply chains. Could be that there was a shortage of the previous CPU, or they had a discount on a large batch of the faster CPU for some of their assembly lines.

Beside fixing bugs, hardware revisions are usually about reducing costs, not the opposite. Otherwise, they would launch a new product, and price it higher.

Of course a C1 is also not guaranteed to be 1Ghz ... See my post above:

I just picked up a Revision C1, RT-AC68U and it's 800Mhz, no FA ...

nvram get clkfreq
nvram get bl_version

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!