What's new

RT-AC68U, samba, speed & CPU usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well not USB3, but 4TB is kinda extreme for such a router....
maybe.

The drive now shows up. The transfer speeds are still max 25-29Mb/s ... :(

But the other issue is still there. I rebooted the router. Now I can't change the share permissions anymore. It was possible to do so until the reboot. o_O

Attachments

• 2016-12-14_223034.png
    2016-12-14_223034.png
    187 KB · Views: 607
I have a 4tb WD USB 3.0 drive hooked up to my RT-AC68P and get about 50/30 (r/w). It is formatted as ext4. I originally used NTFS but I would get corrupted files every few months. I switched to ext4 and it became faster and haven't had any corruption since.

Are you by any chance running Windows 10 for your tests? I have experienced a very strange issue since 380.59 where my samba speed will drop to a very consistent 21/4 every few weeks Rebooting the router won't fix it but rebooting Windows will. It started right after upgrading to 380.59 but since rebooting Windows fixes it, I assume that it was a Windows 10 update that caused the problem.

I do have the USB 3.0 interference thing disabled but I did not mess with power levels.

I have a 4tb WD USB 3.0 drive hooked up to my RT-AC68P and get about 50/30 (r/w).
Are you by any chance running Windows 10 for your tests?

I do have the USB 3.0 interference thing disabled but I did not mess with power levels.

Glad to hear that it is possible with big WD drives!
I will try a different hard drive.

I'm using Win8.1. But the observed data rates are also observable with FTP transfers with filezilla. Maybe you could check that as well?
my computer is connected by Ethernet cable. The 2.4 Wi-Fi is not used and I also disabled the interference thing.

One question. Do you have media server activated? Dlna streaming is my main application for the attached drive.

EDIT:
Oh and I have a Asus AC68U instead of P. Maybe that's the difference?

Btw. does anybody has any clue why my problem with the permissions appear?
What could be the issue?

Glad to hear that it is possible with big WD drives!
I will try a different hard drive.

I'm using Win8.1. But the observed data rates are also observable with FTP transfers with filezilla. Maybe you could check that as well?
my computer is connected by Ethernet cable. The 2.4 Wi-Fi is not used and I also disabled the interference thing.

One question. Do you have media server activated? Dlna streaming is my main application for the attached drive.

EDIT:
Oh and I have a Asus AC68U instead of P. Maybe that's the difference?

ftp> get XXXX.txt
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /tmp/mnt/Elements_Ext4/ftp/XXXX.txt (139921497 bytes).
226 File send OK.
ftp: 139921497 bytes received in 4.50Seconds 31107.49Kbytes/sec.
ftp> put XXXX2.txt
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Ok to send data.
226 File receive OK.
ftp: 139921497 bytes sent in 4.75Seconds 29438.56Kbytes/sec.

That was over a wireless connection.

I do not have the media server enabled but I have had it enabled in the past and had the same speeds. The P is supposed to work much better as a NAS than the U from what I have read.

That was over a wireless connection.

I do not have the media server enabled but I have had it enabled in the past and had the same speeds. The P is supposed to work much better as a NAS than the U from what I have read.
Thanks!

Interesting indeed. The faster CPU maybe does make a difference.

I will probably reset my router on the weekend and try some OC (if possible)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!