What's new

RT-AC68U Slow LAN Speeds (Both Wired and Wireless)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well the laptop is only connecting at 100Mbps so that explains the lack of throughput on the wired connection.

If your laptop only has a single antenna (quite common) and is operating at 20MHz bandwidth then the link speed would be 72Mbps which would correlate with your wireless throughput.
So, I got to live this ? Is there anything I can do ? :(

Check the exact hardware specs of the wired and wireless interfaces used in your laptop. It's the only way to know for sure, short of taking it apart. I have a Lenovo laptop myself and know that even laptops with the same model number are sold with different network configurations.

Sorry, I don't have Skype/whatsapp.

I changed the the wired adapter on my laptop to 1Gbps full duplex and restarted, restarted the router too but even then the link shows 100Mbps. However my wireless adapter shows 1Gbps and here's the transfer speed capture.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 788
Gigabits require adapters to be set to auto-negotiate for best results. Make sure the Ethernet cable you use is either Cat5e or higher. If in doubt, replace it. A bad cable would cause the connection to downgrade to 100 Mbps.

Also note that the wireless link rate won't directly reflect throughput. That link rate does not take into account the fact that wireless is a shared medium, and also that you have to encrypt the data before transmitting it, adding a fair amount of overhead.

Also, robocfg only reports Ethernet rates, it does not report wireless link rates.

OK that's looking a bit better than before.

In addition to Merlin's advice, when you say "wireless adapter shows 1Gbps" what are you referring to. If you're referring to port 5 of the robocfg output that isn't the wireless interface. You can usually check the wireless link speed in Windows by looking at the "Status" of the network adapter.

A peak transfer rate of 14.9MB/s equates very roughly to 120Mbps. What band are you connecting to, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Gigabits require adapters to be set to auto-negotiate for best results. Make sure the Ethernet cable you use is either Cat5e or higher. If in doubt, replace it. A bad cable would cause the connection to downgrade to 100 Mbps.

Also note that the wireless link rate won't directly reflect throughput. That link rate does not take into account the fact that wireless is a shared medium, and also that you have to encrypt the data before transmitting it, adding a fair amount of overhead.
Okay, lemme see what I can comeup with. I appreciate all your help, I'll get back to you if required.
Thank You Colin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!