What's new

Rt-ac68U slowing down after 4 days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsmbm

Occasional Visitor
Hello there,

I've been following this forum ever since installing asus-merlin on my rt n66u several years ago.

I now have RT-ac68u which ran 380.70 stable for over 1.5years and then some months ago (can't recall exactly when) noticed the devices started face connectivity issues (slow browsing, youtube won't buffer etc), i'd go about rebooting the router, it would work fine for the next 4-5 days & then i'd have to reboot again and the cycle would continue.

Hoping the new stable firmware would address my woes, i sceptically updated (4 days ago) to asus-merlin 384.15 & did a complete factory reset & reconfigured - and today the problem was there again, I just literally rebooted the router 10 mins ago and decided to seek advise here.

some additional info:
- on average 6-12 devices are always connected
- all on 2.4ghz,
- not running any scripts cuz i don't know how to (am a noob at this)
- have assigned to my laptop and mobile fixed ip addresses.

looking forward to some valuable advise.

Thanks and Regards

Look for error messages appearing in the router's syslog (System Log - General Log) around the time the problems occur.

Perform internet speedtests at various times throughout the day to try and determine whether it's an intermittent problem with the service from your ISP.

What kind of modem do you have, cable, ADSL, etc.?

Look for error messages appearing in the router's syslog (System Log - General Log) around the time the problems occur.

Perform internet speedtests at various times throughout the day to try and determine whether it's an intermittent problem with the service from your ISP. - will do

- I'll try explaining the connection, the ONT device's built in wifi is disabled and my router connects to it via PPPOE through LAN cable (hope that makes sense)

Perform internet speedtests at various times throughout the day to try and determine whether it's an intermittent problem with the service from your ISP.

I set the log earlier to the following:
Default message log level > Warning
Log only messages more urgent than > Info

an attached is the log from when the problem started re-occurring

Attachments

• syslog(1).txt
    256.7 KB · Views: 163
Calibrate. Hopefully one of those twelve devices is a laptop? Connect it to Ethernet, then at 5 GHz and then at 2.4 GHz. Run some Internet speed tests to see what things look like when things are "normal".

Then, when things go south, run through the above again.
  • If all three (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and Ethernet) test bad then it's likely your router or the ISP's service. But since a reboot fixes everything then it's likely your router?
  • If only 2.4 GHz tests bad then it's likely something to do with 2.4 GHz
    • Possibly your router?
    • Possibly your environment?
      • You've a "bad device" pulling everyone down and the reboot disconnects it?
      • You've a neighbor who's inadvertently messing with you and the reboot might be temporarily separating you?
Also, since you have an Asus, become familiar with your real time traffic monitor. You don't mention your service speeds but if they're "low speed" maybe you're simply looking at traffic/congestion issues?

Last edited:
Calibrate. Hopefully one of those twelve devices is a laptop? Connect it to Ethernet, then at 5 GHz and then at 2.4 GHz. Run some Internet speed tests to see what things look like when things are "normal".

Then ,when things go south, run through the above again.
  • If all three (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and Ethernet) test bad then it's likely your router or the ISP's service. But since a reboot fixes everything then it's likely your router?
  • If only 2.4 GHz tests bad then it's likely something to do with 2.4 GHz
    • Possibly your router?
    • Possibly your environment?
      • You've a "bad device" pulling everyone down and the reboot disconnects it?
      • You've a neighbor who's inadvertently messing with you and the reboot might be temporarily separating you?
Also, since you have an Asus, become familiar with your real time traffic monitor. You don't mention your service speeds but if they're "low speed" maybe you're simply looking at traffic/congestion issues?

Klueless, many thanks for the detailed response.
I frequent the traffic analyser and have enabled the "statistics" section for sometime now - having set-up an adequately strong password it's safe to rule out the neighbour - although I'm beginning to suspect it could be the router and one of the reason is when it gets worst, the home page (192.168.1.1) is not accessible via 2.4ghz, haven't tried it by lan, i'll be sure to run the diagnostic as suggested.

P.S what's ur take on on the operating environment where dust is a norm? - the router does look a bit dusty from the backside and the temps on the monitor show cpu at 75*C when the ambient temp is under 20*C

... adequately strong password it's safe to rule out the neighbour
Uh, no. It's very possible a neighbor set up a new WiFi system and it's possible his 2.4 GHz service is simply conflicting with yours.
... when it gets worst, the home page (192.168.1.1) is not accessible via 2.4ghz
Now that's useful in that it begins to rule out the Internet as a contributor. So back to the router or ... 2.4 GHz contention?
haven't tried it by lan
And that just might narrow it down ...​
... frequent the traffic analyser
Probably a mute point by now but ... does your Internet traffic approach the limits of your service speeds? What's the traffic on the 2.4 GHz band look like?

Last edited:
Uh, no. It's very possible a neighbor set up a new WiFi system and it's possible his 2.4 GHz service is simply conflicting with yours.

Now that's useful in that it begins to rule out the Internet as a contributor. So back to the router or ... 2.4 GHz contention?
> yes, will be testing the 2.4ghz this week

And that just might narrow it down ...​

Probably a mute point by now but ... does your Internet traffic approach the limits of your service speeds? What's the traffic on the 2.4 GHz band look like?

> got ya! i've changed the broadast channel basedon wifi analyser app - let's see if this works

> service provider speeds are juvenile here as compared - so we get a max of 8mb up/down with a cap of 250gb - but our monthly usage rarely crosses 200gb - so we're safe here.

all the help much appreciated, i'll revert with the update on effect of broadcast channel that i changed today + the lan diagnostics.
Cheers

i've changed the broadast channel basedon wifi analyser app - let's see if this works
Here's hoping you get Lucky! (On the flip side sometimes neighboring equipment will change channels when you least expect it.)

It'll be interesting to see what LAN port & 5 GHz show if (when) 2.4 GHz locks up again. (We haven't ruled out router yet.)

It's been a coupla days. Any new failures? We you able to capture any additional data?

I was having some issues with my setup (AC86U Router and AC68R Node) running on the latest Merlin 384.15.. I flashed both of them back to 384.14_2 and have not had any issues since. I was having issues where the routers seemed to randomly slow down and lock up and some devices were having issues connecting and staying connected to the 5 Ghz Wifi.

It's been a coupla days. Any new failures? We you able to capture any additional data?
hello there! i was out of town for the past three days, and returned last night - comparatively felt the overall experience better, but still was slightly sluggish - did a speed-test just before reboot, it seemed alright- however, i'll wait for it to reappear (expected by sunday, fingers crossed) and will test with 5ghz and lan.

I was having some issues with my setup (AC86U Router and AC68R Node) running on the latest Merlin 384.15.. I flashed both of them back to 384.14_2 and have not had any issues since. I was having issues where the routers seemed to randomly slow down and lock up and some devices were having issues connecting and staying connected to the 5 Ghz Wifi.
hey! did you ever have this problem occur before upgrading to 384.15? or was this the 1st time?

hey! did you ever have this problem occur before upgrading to 384.15? or was this the 1st time?
It was the first time. I was having some issues with an old AC68 with the 800 mhz processor (was trying to run a VPN and a couple other things and stuff was getting sluggish) so I upgraded to the AC86u as the primary router. It was fine until I upgraded to 384.15 and that is when i started to see issues. I have been back on 384.14_2 for about a week? (maybe a little longer) and havent noticed any of the problems.

ok so today i felt it slightly struggle, or maybe it was just me, anyhow, go down to testing.

my ISP provides a max of 11mbps upload and this is (or around it) is what we usually get.

Anyhow, attached is abit of comparative of 2.4 7 lan (5ghz is not used and hence disabled altogether the radio is switched off) + syslog is also attached.

upload_2020-3-15_12-48-57.png

the three rests were run with different servers and each propped against the same i.e. the results of the test using server XYZ is propped at the same place in the table for both the 2.4ghz and LAN. The uptime has been 2 days, so maybe not much can be witnessed, i'm away tomorrow for another 3 days, on return that would have been 5+ days of uptime and i'll run again to see what we get.

Thanks & Regards

Attachments

• syslog(2).txt
    451.7 KB · Views: 157
@Klueless,

Trust you're keeping safe amidst this frenzy!

The classic problem recooured just now, infact it's prevailign and i have yet to reboot my system.

While gaming (online) 20 minutes ago, ran into a random disconnection, thinking nothing of it I went to grab food, on returning realised the game wouldn't connect, closed it to find it showed "limited connectivity" in the connection icon (was connected to 2.4ghz) - tried to open a website, it won't, tried to connect to the guy home page (192.168.1.1) it wouldn't. tried pinging it through CMD had 100% loss.

Disconnected the wifi, connected LAN, it started off with "limited connectivity" and then connected - i can now access internet (here i am making this post) but wouldn't connect to the giui (192.168.1.1) although it's pinging fine now:(

i'll reboot and see what i can get off the log

The classic problem recurred just now, in fact it's prevailing and i have yet to reboot my system ... Disconnected the wifi, connected LAN, it started off with "limited connectivity" and then connected - i can now access internet (here i am making this post) but wouldn't connect to the giui (192.168.1.1) although it's pinging fine now
Making uh "progress"?
  • Internet Problem?
    • Data points against;
      • Internet works over LAN port (while failing over WiFi).
  • WiFi Problem?
    • Data points for;
      • Works over LAN while failing over WiFi
      • Reboot fixes it (e.g., may clear a misbehaved WiFi client, may change to a less congested channel?)
  • Asus Problem?
    • Data points for;
      • Cannot connect to GUI @ 192.168.1.1 over working LAN port
      • WiFi failing
      • Reboot fixes it.
WiFi?

I had a similar problem at one site. WiFi would hang and LAN port worked but couldn't log into my router. Reboot would fix it but problem would come back later that day or later that week. Through isolation and dumb luck I discovered one of my WiFi devices (a range extender) was overheating. A dead "stink bug" had fused itself to the device thus blocking airflow. I scraped it off, connected it all back up and ran for months with no further problems.​

Router?

At one site I had the router in a window. (The window gave me line of site to a range extender in another building.) On particularly sunny days the sun would beat on it and I'd see similar symptoms to what you describe. Reboot would fix it temporarily but blocking the sun did the trick longer term.​

Scattered in other threads throughout this forum other users have complained that they can login to their GUI and then ... they can't. Some notice it when they're trying to work a problem. Others see it as a predictor to forthcoming problems. I've never seen the "solution" other than to reboot. In fact some go so far as to schedule automatic reboots.​

I have similar problems on two of my routers but it only rears its head after a couple months of operation so ... I simply put up with it and reboot.​

Until then, for a lack of better ideas, heat, airflow (and, if you have one laying around, power adapter)?

Last edited:
Hi
So I finally found the bugger! It was my bro's Samsung Smart TV connected via WiFi that would pull/push requests jamming the bandwidth.

Blocked it via MAC filter & ran 8 days straight without the need to reboot (on the 9th day the power outage cycled it :()

Regards & Many thanks for the help @kluless

Making uh "progress"?
  • Internet Problem?
    • Data points against;
      • Internet works over LAN port (while failing over WiFi).
  • WiFi Problem?
    • Data points for;
      • Works over LAN while failing over WiFi
      • Reboot fixes it (e.g., may clear a misbehaved WiFi client, may change to a less congested channel?)
  • Asus Problem?
    • Data points for;
      • Cannot connect to GUI @ 192.168.1.1 over working LAN port
      • WiFi failing
      • Reboot fixes it.
WiFi?

I had a similar problem at one site. WiFi would hang and LAN port worked but couldn't log into my router. Reboot would fix it but problem would come back later that day or later that week. Through isolation and dumb luck I discovered one of my WiFi devices (a range extender) was overheating. A dead "stink bug" had fused itself to the device thus blocking airflow. I scraped it off, connected it all back up and ran for months with no further problems.​

Router?

At one site I had the router in a window. (The window gave me line of site to a range extender in another building.) On particularly sunny days the sun would beat on it and I'd see similar symptoms to what you describe. Reboot would fix it temporarily but blocking the sun did the trick longer term.​

Scattered in other threads throughout this forum other users have complained that they can login to their GUI and then ... they can't. Some notice it when they're trying to work a problem. Others see it as a predictor to forthcoming problems. I've never seen the "solution" other than to reboot. In fact some go so far as to schedule automatic reboots.​

I have similar problems on two of my routers but it only rears its head after a couple months of operation so ... I simply put up with it and reboot.​

Until then, for a lack of better ideas, heat, airflow (and, if you have one laying around, power adapter)?