What's new

RT-AC68U - ssh is 'flaky'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robmash

New Around Here
Hi all,

I seem to be having a strange problem getting an ssh terminal session on my router consistently. I am using putty from my laptop, and I only succeed in getting a login prompt about 20% of the time - the rest of the time I just see the cursor and then the session drops after about a minute. Other times, I will get through the login (to the point where my login is logged in the syslog) but the session freezes and I cannot use the session. However, about 5% of the time I get a session which works perfectly.

I have recently switched from the stock firmware to the asus-merlin 386.1_2, and the behavior has been the same under both firmwares. Restarts/power cycles have had no impact. About the only thing I haven't done yet is a factory reset, because it is a pain so I thought I would check here first to see if this is a known issue. The network is stable, with no issues accessing the web gui at the same time and pings to the router are stable and consistent.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced?

My SSH using Putty on my RT-AC68U is as solid as can be. Always has been. (Currently running RMerlin's 386.1)

Hi all,

I seem to be having a strange problem getting an ssh terminal session on my router consistently. I am using putty from my laptop, and I only succeed in getting a login prompt about 20% of the time - the rest of the time I just see the cursor and then the session drops after about a minute. Other times, I will get through the login (to the point where my login is logged in the syslog) but the session freezes and I cannot use the session. However, about 5% of the time I get a session which works perfectly.

I have recently switched from the stock firmware to the asus-merlin 386.1_2, and the behavior has been the same under both firmwares. Restarts/power cycles have had no impact. About the only thing I haven't done yet is a factory reset, because it is a pain so I thought I would check here first to see if this is a known issue. The network is stable, with no issues accessing the web gui at the same time and pings to the router are stable and consistent.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced?
Yes, when I first flashed my RT-AC66U_B1 to 384.19. Interestingly it was completely stable on 2.4gHz (primary and guest) and 5gHz guest, just unstable on 5gHz (primary).

I ended up resetting and reflashing and that cured it. But yes, I had the same issues (on an earlier version of the firmware).

A big no-no! Esp. when coming from OEM to Merlin.
I figured that was the case. Somewhere in the documentation I read 'not required' but what you are saying is what I expected.

After a factory reset, is it safe to restore from a saved config or should I rebuild it from scratch?

I figured that was the case. Somewhere in the documentation I read 'not required' but what you are saying is what I expected.

After a factory reset, is it safe to restore from a saved config or should I rebuild it from scratch?

From scratch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!