What's new

RT-AC68U stuck loading webgui

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maniacrom

New Around Here
Have an unusual problem with getting to the settings screen. I dont recall which firmware I am using but it is a recent official one. I was having trouble connecting to one of my wireless networks, but generally everything else was working fine on other wireless networks and on the wired network. So I rebooted the router which generally cures things after which I usually login to the settings page just to check on things. Now I can get to the login screen and put in my credentials but the screen just sits at loading.

I have rebooted the the computers connecting to it, tried multiple computers and wireless devices, multiple browsers, all with the same result. Any ideas of where to go from here without factory resetting it? I dont really want to go through configuring it all again but if I have to then I will.

I have also cleared all my different browser caches. I cannot SSH into the router because I never enabled it.

It doesnt look like I can remotely update the firmware either. There is an asus rescue utility but it follows the same steps as a factory reset almost so I am pretty sure I would lose all my settings.

Last edited:
So I tried to update the firmware using the asus rescue software.
I tried to flash to RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_43129-g60defb2 but it would always stop around 43%
I then switched to RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae which was only 43mb vs 90mb and it was able to successfully flash.

Even with the new firmware I still get stuck trying to access the settings screen.

Could there be some sort of internal storage issue?

A couple weeks ago my RT-AC68U V3 melted down (hacker attack?). I had to install new firmware from the miniGUI screen. No problems now. Is the Rescue Screen you refer to the miniGUI?

By "miniGUI" you actually mean "ASUSTek - CFE miniWebServer".
Hmm I dont know if that helps me or not, if my issue is that the router is somehow out of space. Is that part of a firmware that gets flashed to the router instead of the firmware having the full gui?

Since my router melted down, when I restarted after hitting the reset button it brought up the miniGUI so I could upload firmware. What version is your router?

I think I have throughly borked it now. I tried flashing back to 20633 which was the smallest firmware I could find at 37mb, hoping that may free up enough space to get into the web gui, but now it wont accept my credentials which at least before it could. It also wont accept admin/admin. So think I may just have to go back to factory settings and start again.

Well factory reset got me logged in again. Dont know what the root cause was, I assume out of space, possibly from QoS logging.

The victory was short lived. I changed my routers address and I can login with my credentials but the settings page no longer loads. Seriously strange.

Another factory reset later and things seems to be ok now. Maybe it needed one after the last firmware flash.

Last edited:
I have similar issues after several weeks of successful running. Recently got into main page OK after loosing internet and found RAM at 79 percent with logs full of warnings about cannot allocate enough space. Then the whole GUI locked up. A reboot usually clears it. Running 3.0.0.4.385_20632, upgrading to current stock version today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!