What's new

RT-AC68U stuck on Firmware Downloading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don VE6JY

New Around Here
RT-AC68U with Merlin 386.3_2 saw a notice about a firmware update but it ended up with a Firmware Downloading screen that never got anywhere. Ever since then, when I try to upgrade the page where you can manually update something from a file, flashes briefly then it goes to the same Firmware Downloading page. Is there something simple I can to get out of this condition (I'm no expert). The router works fine altho when I tried to remove some of my guest accounts and disable the 5G radio, they appear to be OFF but they are still on and working. Rebooting multiple times had no effect. I have a backup file as I have many port forward rules and many manually assigned ip's that I do not want to enter (again) manually. Google searches haven't turned up any solutions that seem to apply to my situation. My plan was going to be to Restore back to factory default, then (hopefully) and I can reload the latest 386.5_2 firmware and then restore all my settings from the backup I have. Any help would sure be appreciated.

My plan was going to be to Restore back to factory default, then (hopefully) and I can reload the latest 386.5_2 firmware and then restore all my settings from the backup I have.
That's normally discouraged as the backup files are only intended to be used with the same version firmware they were created with. However, as a last resort it's worth trying.

Thanks for the responses.
The restore feature and then upgrade all worked, as did restoring the settings. The 5g and the extra guest channels are no longer broadcasting. The biggest issue now is that, even though the main wifi channel is configured the same, about 40 wireless smart (dumb!) switch devices refuse to connect. Many others do connect, but not all. A real pain to bind them again. A few have migrated back over time, but power and router cycling haven't convinced the rest to return.

Did you try rebooting the client devices too?

they have been power cycled multiple times. They are smart plugs of various makes, the only other thing is to restart the binding process. Some are in hard to reach locations etc and there about 40 of them. They have been fine for several years, extremely reliable. I have manually turned the wifi off at the router and waited 30 min before enabling it, hoping that would get them to come home. There are about 10 that connect fine but many others don't.

Thanks for the responses.
The restore feature and then upgrade all worked, as did restoring the settings. The 5g and the extra guest channels are no longer broadcasting. The biggest issue now is that, even though the main wifi channel is configured the same, about 40 wireless smart (dumb!) switch devices refuse to connect. Many others do connect, but not all. A real pain to bind them again. A few have migrated back over time, but power and router cycling haven't convinced the rest to return.

How did you solve the issue? Did all the devices connect to the WiFi?