What's new

RT-AC68U - Unable to Update Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RB23

New Around Here
Hi all,
Please forgive me; I'm not that tech-savvy. I've been reading a bit about routers and figured that updating to the latest firmware would protect me from vulnerabilities. I also decided to try out the Merlin firmware.

Here are my details:
Canada
Windows 10
ASUS RT-AC68U
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_205

For some reason, I cannot upgrade my firmware. Every time I try, it acts like it is doing it. It starts with an upload with the % in the bottom left going up and then an upgrade with the % on the ASUS Router GUI increasing. Then it tells me to perform a manual reset. I've tried powering off and on, as well as unplugging.

No matter what I do, the version number does not change. I tried using a different browser and even a different device to see if it was a cache issue but it still displays the old firmware version.

At first, I thought I may have to upgrade the native firmware first before trying Merlin, but the latest ASUS firmware had the same issue. I thought maybe the jump in firmware is too much, so I tried updating to the oldest firmware available on the ASUS website, which also did the exact same thing.

I tried hard resetting the router. I had to reinput all my information but that still didn't work.

I tried using the ASUS Firmware update utility but I have no way to connect to the router if its WiFi signal is off. I tried using the ASUS Firmware update utility after a hard reset, but it says that the Router is not in Recovery mode.

I tried putting the firmware on a USB and then hard resetting in hopes that it would recognize the file format and auto-flash itself but that didn't work.

I'm thinking that I will need to get a USB adapter that will allow me to plug in a CAT-5 cable to my laptop, but I'm not sure if that is the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys. I do remember reading that but figured I'd upgrade with the native firmware first. I can't believe the amount of time I wasted by not reading more clearly.

Thank you so much for your help.

Now I'm curious... let's say someone out there hadn't heard of Merlin and just wanted to upgrade the native ASUS firmware. How would they have done it without Merlin?

Now I'm curious... let's say someone out there hadn't heard of Merlin and just wanted to upgrade the native ASUS firmware. How would they have done it without Merlin?
"or the last 378.xxx version from Asus"

EDIT: Unfortunately Asus has removed all the old firmware versions from their website. :rolleyes:

"or the last 378.xxx version from Asus"

EDIT: Unfortunately Asus has removed all the old firmware versions from their website. :rolleyes:
Ya, I tried using the oldest one they had on their website but it didn't work. I even tried searching for random sites that had old versions available.

Anyways, thanks a lot guys!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!