What's new

RT-AC68U VPN Director rule works intermittently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LightGuy48

New Around Here
I am trying to figure out why I am having trouble using VPN Director rules with a few devices. I'm trying to setup an RT-AC68U running 386.7_2 with a VPN client and initially I'm starting with a single device/IP to use OVPN1 to all (no IP address listed) in the VPN Director rules. There are no other rules present. When I turn on the VPN Client it attempts to connect but fails. I can tell it's trying to connect because if it didn't see the VPN connection somewhat working it would produce a different error message.

However, if I set the VPN client to All Traffic vs. VPN Director it works just fine. Sometimes if I switch from All Traffic to VPN Director while the VPN Client is up it will continue to work until the VPN Client is turned off but then fails the next time it is started.

DNS is set to Strict so is it possibly some kind of DNS configuration issue? Do I need to use Exclusive instead?

When I turn on the VPN Client it attempts to connect but fails.
Are you saying that the router's VPN client fails to connect to the VPN server? In which case there should be error messages in the System Log. If by "it" you mean the single device, what is it connecting to?

DNS is set to Strict so is it possibly some kind of DNS configuration issue? Do I need to use Exclusive instead?
Definitely try Exclusive, that's what I use.

No, the VPN client connects just fine, the issue is the single device on my LAN that is being directed to use the VPN Client connector is not working reliably when using the VPN Director rule but it works perfectly when using All Traffic vs. VPN Director.

The VPN director rule is simple just

192.168.1.56 and then no IP for the destination which I thought was supposed to be 'all' vs. having to use 0.0.0.0 and the rule is Active and assigned to OVPN1

The VPN director rule is simple just

192.168.1.56 and then no IP for the destination which I thought was supposed to be 'all' vs. having to use 0.0.0.0 and the rule is Active and assigned to OVPN1
That's exactly what I use. But I use Exclusive DNS.

Can you describe what does/doesn't work for the client when using VPN Director?

I tried Exclusive and no change to the issue. Basically when doing the VPN Director for just the device's IP it says video playback failed, when redirecting all traffic it works fine, no issues with playback.

It's almost like there is some kind of handshaking not getting passed back to that single device when using the VPN Director rule vs All Traffic

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!