What's new

RT-AC68U vs RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ojigi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Read all the posts on RT-AX68U but still wondering. I thought that I had bricked my old RT-AC68U a few weeks ago.
Since, I work from home I was desperate and ordered a new Asus router, namely RT-AX68U.
However, I managed to get my beloved RT-AC68U working again and I'm not sure whether to sell my old RT-AC68U and keep the RT-AX68U instead.

A new AX68 in normally 210USD, I got on sale for 150USD and I can probably sell my old RT-AC68U for 60USD.

Hence, is the upgrade to AX68U worth 90USD taking in whether it has proven itself etc?
Functionality-wise, it adds WIFI6, AIS-NI (?) and what else?

Do you have WiFi6 or 5 in your network? No 6 then no need for the AX except for the design/component improvements that might improve performance on the newer model. AND, since you got such a good deal on the AX I'd probably keep it anyway and sell the AC.

Functionality-wise, it adds WIFI6, AIS-NI (?) and what else?

+ new faster ARM v8 CPU with AES support (can do 200Mbps OpenVPN)
+ more ram, 512MB (but it also uses more RAM in operation)
+ new software, new Linux kernel (Cake support in Asuswrt-Merlin)
+ new Wi-Fi 6 radios, perhaps with better range
+ MU-MIMO support (doesn't matter, not a real advantage)
+ faster USB transfers (doesn't matter, don't use router as NAS)
+ much newer model, may get longer Asus support

- too expensive in my opinion
- super ugly, the original AC68U mated with a toaster
- not very popular model, few discussions about it on SNB
- unknown reliability, perhaps worse than your AC68U

If you don't need AX, then I don't really buy the whole "got a great deal" thing, because over times these things have a tendency to get cheaper, not more expensive :)

Counter-argument: given WFH, it maybe worth keeping the AC as a backup so that you have no downtime (what does it cost you to not work for a couple of hours as you go out and buy a new router in a hurry).

Counter-argument: given WFH, it maybe worth keeping the AC as a backup so that you have no downtime (what does it cost you to not work for a couple of hours as you go out and buy a new router in a hurry).
That's an often overlooked aspect of upgrading. Prior to getting my AX86U, my backup router was a Linksys WRTG54GS ... seriously. Now I have an RT-AC88U as backup.

That's an often overlooked aspect of upgrading. Prior to getting my AX86U, my backup router was a Linksys WRTG54GS ... seriously. Now I have an RT-AC88U as backup.
What do you mean 'seriously'? I still have a WRT54GL sitting behind me should I need to get back up and running in a hurry :)

Do you have WiFi6 or 5 in your network? No 6 then no need for the AX except for the design/component improvements that might improve performance on the newer model. AND, since you got such a good deal on the AX I'd probably keep it anyway and sell the AC.
So in general are you arguing there is little merit in upgrading to the AX units if your system primarily comprises older items built around 2.4 and 5? The price diff between an AX and equivalent AC router is significant but as Tech9 explains there has been a pretty major upgrade in components.

To be honest I don't see much of a difference between my RT-AC88U and RT-AX86U in terms of WiFi signal. Of course the newer model has a more powerful CPU and more cores, but actual coverage seems to be similar enough that it's difficult to attribute any differences to the router.

If you upgrade you will get more capabilities and power in the router, but I doubt you'll see any perceptible difference in wireless clients. Maybe if they're AX-capable. I only have two devices that are: a Surface Book Pro and an iPad Pro.

I'd keep the AX because of the great price and technological superiority it has. Sell the AC or keep it if you need a backup.

Thank you for the input. The AX68U is unboxed :)
If it doesn't work out it's because of the bad advice all of these other people gave you, it's not my fault...

Have fun.