What's new

Use 2.5Gbps connection. AiMesh on wan side is possible? Dual WAN ethernet? AX68U and AC68U.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brambil

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,

I've just changed my internet provider, the new one will provide me FTTH with a 2.5Gbps profile, but I must use the provided router to use also phone.

Previously I had an RT-AX68U as main router (in cascade to provider's modem) and my old AC68U in AiMesh. The maximum internet speed was 100Mbps so everything was ok.
The new router, despite the 2.5GBps on the WAN side has only 4 Gigabit ports and doesn't support link-aggregation. The reason of my upgrade is to access to my home NAS or work using a workstation that is in my home when I am outside, so I would try to use the brandwith as maximum as I can.

I was thinking about 2 possibilities:
- AX68U as main router, using Dual WAN option in Load Balacing. But Dual WAN seems to be available only with USB+WAN, not using WAN port + another port. There is no way to use another ethernet port? (LAN 4 maybe? The one that could be used in aggregation with the WAN one). In this way I could leave 1Gbps to my NAS and everything else on the other side.
- Connect both AC68U and AX68U with their WAN port to new router (would be in parallel, they could benefit of 1Gigabit each), but ... is possible mantain AiMesh functionality? [I think no].

Other idea?

I can evaluate to sobstitute one of two Asus or both, but the main problem I think is the router of my provider. If I have to sobstitute both ASUS probabilly I will go with Ubiquiti or Omada or Mikrotik...

Other idea?
Yeah, your "other brands" declaration aside, a GT-AX6000 or RT-AX88U_Pro if you've got a little more shelf space and/or it's going to be situated in general view. Something, anything, quite AX capable with a 2.5Gb ethernet port both sides. Put whatever they provided in bridge mode (and disable its wifi, perhaps) and use your own equipment.

Put whatever they provided in bridge mode (and disable its wifi, perhaps) and use your own equipment.
I can't.
The provided router couldn't be put in Bridge Mode and untill today configuration parameter for VoIP of my operator are undisclosed.

This FAQ: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011719/ doesn't apply to AX68U ?

EDIT: After a reset of AX68U Ethernet WAN appaeread. I'll try.

Last edited:
using Dual WAN option in Load Balacing

This is not possible to 2x LAN ports on the same network. You need LAGG and it must be supported on both ends. It will also not give you 2Gbps to any single connection, only aggregate. This ISP service coming to single 2.5GbE port is not very useful. No device on your network will exceed Gigabit, again - only aggregate traffic.

mantain AiMesh functionality

You can run AiMesh in double NAT as Router + Node or AiMesh in AP Mode with Main + Node. Both configurations are valid.

This is not possible to 2x LAN ports on the same network. You need LAGG and it must be supported on both ends. It will also not give you 2Gbps to any single connection, only aggregate. This ISP service coming to single 2.5GbE port is not very useful. No device on your network will exceed Gigabit, again - only aggregate traffic.

I can't understand why 2x WAN on the same network is not possible.
My Asus router see 1st WAN connection with IP 192.168.1.xx and second one 192.168.1.yy . If the problem is the subnet or the getaway I can assign the second port to as Guest dhcp.
LAGG is not supported by the router of the operator. When I can change the router I will do

I don't need 2Gbps on a single connection, for me it is enough to have my NAS with a 1Gbit and everything else in house with the other gigabit...I'm trying today: I'm not at home and it looks working, I don't know if who is at home has any problem with streaming. My laptop in wifi, now, is working at 120Mbps, the ethernet port is gigabit but I don't have a Gigabit connection where I am... so if the NAS has 1Gbit alone to go internet will be enough, he has 2Gbits (LAGG).
Maybe in future I will change all the network to a 10Gbit one, but by now it's fine.

I could try to put SKY's Decoder directly to the ISP router, but I will loose QoS, and I think is worse: untill 3 days ago I had 100Mbit to manage everything, have 2 Gbit in balance is already a good upgrade.

No, you can't have 2x WAN connections to a switch with Dual WAN load balancing. This feature to two real WAN connections most of the time doesn't work properly on Asus routers anyway. Don't know how good is the upgrade, but you can't have any Ethernet device over 940Mbps and any wireless device over around 800Mbps with your current router. You also perhaps don't need QoS on the new ISP line. To me it sounds like overpaying for services you can't really use at the moment.

In this case just use whatever you can with the hardware you already have.

Chasing the ISP speed will cost you hundreds of dollars and your user experience won't change much.

If this is Sky UK you need to make sure that the supplied router has a 2.5Gbps WAN port, as they've already been caught signing people up to the new fast service, but supply a router with only a 1Gbps WAN port!

If this is Sky UK you need to make sure that the supplied router has a 2.5Gbps WAN port, as they've already been caught signing people up to the new fast service, but supply a router with only a 1Gbps WAN port!
The ISP is Vodafone Italy on OpenFiber network (previously I had TIM on the old copper network).

The provided router has a built-in Fiber port and 4 gigabit port+WiFi 6.
I need also the phone service (and I maintained my old phone number) so I have to use the ISP's router for the VoIP Service because they don't give me configuration values.

With this config of Dual Wan I reached 1,6Gbit in download running a speedtest on the NAS and contemporary one on a PC on another ethernet port (800Mbit each).
The auto load balance of Asus is very weak, but with a manual config it works (NAS on WAN2, everything else on WAN1).
I've disabled QoS and I will try to put the SKY router directly to the ISP Router.

~snip~

With this config of Dual Wan I reached 1,6Gbit in download running a speedtest on the NAS and contemporary one on a PC on another ethernet port (800Mbit each).
~snip~
So you were able to connect both Wan ports to the same network, to increase your overall throughput...hmm