What's new

[RT-AC68U] : Way to choose CTF or CTF and FA NAT acceleration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FA is not supported in recent firmware releases for the RT-AC88U, due to the switch to GMAC3 (don't ask me what it does, I have absolutely no idea, I only know it's related to how the wifi and Ethernet switch talk to one another).

GMAC3 is blackbox inside the switching fabric of the SoC I'm told... the demands on this class of SoC are pretty high with 5 gigabit ports, up to 3 11ac 4*4:4 radios (the AC5300 class), and in the case of the AC88U, a discrete external switch with four more downstream ports...

Just ignore whatever it says about FA (it doesn't exist in the RT-AC68U), and disable CTF.

What about the RT-AC68U B1 or later with 1 GHz CPU?

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Attachments

• fa.JPG
    fa.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 774
What about the RT-AC68U B1 or later with 1 GHz CPU?

It might support FA, assuming it's actually a BCM4709, and not just an overclocked BCM4708. I don't know for sure.

When I wrote my original post (in October 2015), only the RT-AC68P had the newer 1 GHz CPU. Things have become quite confusing lately.

I'm confused which version of the AC68U I have since it reports FA+CTF and also tree spanning is enabled and the traffic monitors work, yet it's only got a 800MHz CPU which suggests it's an older version.

Clipboard01.png

It might support FA, assuming it's actually a BCM4709, and not just an overclocked BCM4708. I don't know for sure.

When I wrote my original post (in October 2015), only the RT-AC68P had the newer 1 GHz CPU. Things have become quite confusing lately.

Mine is RT-AC68U B1 with the same cfe 1.0.2.5 as the best buy model RT-AC68P.

I finally found what is causing "Packets Losts" with Teamspeak,Skype and in few Online games and Utorrent for me.
FA(Flow Accel) is the culprit for me.Since last 3 firmwares releases "FA" become enable after rebooting
I reverted to test with 378.55 where FA staying off after reboot , and no more packets losts
CTF only= no packets lost
CTF+FA= Packets lost
When FA is enable, lots of udp connections in Syslog Connections show "Unreplied".Disabling FA or NAT and the same connections become "assured"... Best exemple is Teamspeak with port 9997
Tested also Fork v17 with CTF Level 1 and "UDP connection are ASSURED"
I have AC68u with BCM4708 , so its not supposed to support FA
Im on Fork v17 now and everything rock solid since 2 days with CTF 1 only

Last edited:
What's interesting is that now with 380.58, only CTF is being shown as enabled when I turn on NAT acceleration, even after a reboot. It might be related to having the Trend Micro Statistics stuff enabled though. It was showing both CTF+FA until I turned it off so that the Statistics stuff would work properly.

My ISP raised my download speed to 150 Mbps, so I turned it back on cause I wasn't getting those speeds. It actually turned out I had to power cycle my cable modem. Anyway, with CTF enabled, the Statistics stuff is still registering properly.

I suppose this post doesn't really belong here since I'm using Merlin's FW.

Weird.

For anyone looking to disable FA while keeping CTF, this does the trick:

Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=0
nvram commit

Now the questions remains, why is the CTF+FA enabled in RT-AC68U (in both stock Asus and Merlin) older than B2 that are not supposed to have that feature to begin with!

Last edited:
I have a Merlin Asus rt-ac87. I previously had ctf+fan enabled...now I only have ctf. For some strange reason Flow acceleration gave me a 10+ms higher ping on XboxOne. That isn't the result I expected... considering giving to another try with the new firmware.

GMAC3 is blackbox inside the switching fabric of the SoC I'm told... the demands on this class of SoC are pretty high with 5 gigabit ports, up to 3 11ac 4*4:4 radios (the AC5300 class), and in the case of the AC88U, a discrete external switch with four more downstream ports...
Hi. Please could you share what is the downside of disabling 3GMAC mode on AC88U? Thank you in advance!

You can't - so don't worry about it.
But I did it like below. Please tell me if is not recommended.
Thanks!
Code:
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# nvram get gmac3_enable
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# nvram get fwd_wlandevs
eth2
router@asus:/tmp/home/root#

#setting stop_gmac3=1
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# nvram set stop_gmac3=1
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# nvram commit
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# reboot

#after reboot
router@asus:/tmp/home/root# nvram get gmac3_enable

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!