What's new

RT-AC68U with random LAN & WAN issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3clypse

New Around Here
Hi there!

I already used the search functionality here in the forum, but I couldn't find the same issue, so here I am.

My setup:
  • I have 2 different Asus RT-AC68U routers (one V3 hardware (12v power supply) and other a bit older(19v power supply)).
  • Both were working great with the latest FW Asuswrt 386.12, one as a main router and other as node of the mesh network.
Issue:
  • Suddenly, the main router started failing (only WiFi connected devices can take LAN IP and can ping the router or other WiFi connected devices).
  • The WiFi devices are not loosing connectivity.
  • WAN and Ethernet LAN connected devices are not reachable.
  • A software reboot is not helping. Both (LAN & WAN) keep unreachable forever.
    • The 'ip route' command shows routes correctly, but traceroute or ping cannot reach those devices.
The weird thing is: The issue appears each 24/48/72h more or less. It doesn't matter if I have a reboot schedule in the main router or not.
To recover the situation, I have to physically turn off the router for at least 5-10min. Then, turn it on and normally LAN and WAN are back...

Things I tried:
  • I tried to change the main router with the other one.
  • Downgrade the firmware to an older version
  • Remove the Mesh network.
  • Clean and later remove, the USB fan in the main router.
  • Remove any other USB.
  • Between firmware downgrade/upgrade, I also did a factory reset.
Things I could try:
  • Factory reset with WPS button pressed + create a new config from scratch (not using config backup)

It could be a software issue? Like a "logic bomb"? Is a temperature issue (for both routers?????).

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi there!

I already used the search functionality here in the forum, but I couldn't find the same issue, so here I am.

I have 2 different Asus RT-AC68U routers (one V3 hardware (12v power supply) and other (19v power supply)). Both were working great with Asuswrt 386.12, one as a main router and other as node of the mesh network.
Suddenly, the main router started failing (only WiFi connected devices can take LAN IP and can ping the router or other WiFi connected devices). WAN and Ethernet LAN connected devices are not reachable.

I tried to change the main router with the other one, downgrading the firmware and removing the Mesh network. I also had a router USB fan in the main router.
Between firmware downgrade/upgrade, I also did a factory reset.

The weird thing is: The issue appears each 24/48/72h more or less. It doesn't matter if I have a reboot schedule in the main router or not.
To recover the situation, I have to physically turn off the router for at least 5-10min. Then, turn it on and normally LAN and WAN are back...

It could be a software issue? Like a "logic bomb"? Is a temperature issue (for both routers?????).

Thank you so much!
Try with another Power Adapter.

Hi there!

My setup:
  • I have 2 different Asus RT-AC68U routers (one V3 hardware (12v power supply) and other a bit older(19v power supply)).
  • Both were working great with the latest FW Asuswrt 386.12, one as a main router and other as node of the mesh network.
Issue:
  • Suddenly, the main router started failing (only WiFi connected devices can take LAN IP and can ping the router or other WiFi connected devices).
  • The WiFi devices are not loosing connectivity.
  • WAN and Ethernet LAN connected devices are not reachable.
  • A software reboot is not helping. Both (LAN & WAN) keep unreachable forever.
    • The 'ip route' command shows routes correctly, but traceroute or ping cannot reach those devices.

Things I tried:
  • I tried to change the main router with the other one.
  • Downgrade the firmware to an older version
  • Remove the Mesh network.
  • Clean and later remove, the USB fan in the main router.
  • Remove any other USB.
  • Between firmware downgrade/upgrade, I also did a factory reset.
Things I could try:
  • Factory reset with WPS button pressed + create a new config from scratch (not using config backup)

Thank you so much!

Suddenly (hardware failure?)... router USB fan (power overload? heat overload?)... scheduled reboots (why?)... it's hard to know what's going on there... probably failing hardware.

I would recommission a router from scratch and start over there. Don't add to it to build out your network until you trust it to be a healthy router... and then add one thing at a time until you isolate the trouble.

Me, I'd retire the AC68Us... just waiting for the webUI to refresh is slow.

OE

Suddenly (hardware failure?)... router USB fan (power overload? heat overload?)... scheduled reboots (why?)... it's hard to know what's going on there... probably failing hardware.

I would recommission a router from scratch and start over there. Don't add to it to build out your network until you trust it to be a healthy router... and then add one thing at a time until you isolate the trouble.

Me, I'd retire the AC68Us... just waiting for the webUI to refresh is slow.

OE

I'm gonna follow what you said and gonna try making a complete hard factory reset + create a new config from scratch to only one router.
No mesh, no USB, no USB fan, no scheduled reboots, etc

I'll post any update in few days. Hopefully is "just" a corrupted-bugged configuration.

Pd: I'm also thinking on retiring these AC68U routers, but they were expensive and I'm trying to keep them working for a bit longer 😂

Thank you!

I'm gonna follow what you said and gonna try making a complete hard factory reset + create a new config from scratch to only one router.
No mesh, no USB, no USB fan, no scheduled reboots, etc

I'll post any update in few days. Hopefully is "just" a corrupted-bugged configuration.

Pd: I'm also thinking on retiring these AC68U routers, but they were expensive and I'm trying to keep them working for a bit longer 😂

Thank you!

FYI

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

Things I tried

Did you look at the System Log? This router has issues with TrendMicro Data Collection Daemon crashing constantly and impacting the performance. Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12_2 release addresses the issue. Stock Asuswrt is not fixed yet.

This router also had recently issues with Asus Security Daemon after Asus pushed a wrong update. Some routers recovered after factory reset, but some had to be recovered manually. The bug was causing severe memory leak and lock up.

Thank you all for the help!

OK, quick update:

I applied a new config from scratch after a forced factory reset. Everything working... until Today. After 5 days, the same issue appeared again.

So, I think the only bullet I have left is to apply that 386.12_2 release. I don't use any script or Asus feature (only the DDNS).
Any other Asuswrt release I can DOWNGRADE safely? Just to try if it works...

I'm even thinking on trying DDWRT, to see if is a software issue or not.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help!

OK, quick update:

I applied a new config from scratch after a forced factory reset. Everything working... until Today. After 5 days, the same issue appeared again.

So, I think the only bullet I have left is to apply that 386.12_2 release. I don't use any script or Asus feature (only the DDNS).
Any other Asuswrt release I can DOWNGRADE safely? Just to try if it works...

I'm even thinking on trying DDWRT, to see if is a software issue or not.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.
Power Adapter.

By the way, both routers will work fine with 12V power supply. All step-down regulators inside, nothing uses 19V. Tested and confirmed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!