What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is really hard to figure out if it is the FW or HW issue because we don't hear anything from Asus.

This forum isn't officially endorsed by Asus, and is only occasionally visited by one of their employees on his spare time. If you need support from Asus you should contact them directly.

"spare time" ;)

That's correct. The person logging in here occasionally isn't part of the community team like CL-Jeremy was. Asus hasn't assigned a new representative from the community team yet, so in the mean time Asusnet pops in from time to time, aside from his regular work at Asus.

that's happening to me also,my internet goes out every 3-4 min after I reboot it
tried defaulting it ,no avail same thing
same thing happened with that beta that was put out day before yesterday
205 seems to be alright

tried to read the system log
something about port forwarding or upnp

going back to 205.

i had that build up for 7 days without many issues with regular browsing or access to the settings.
291 has now forced me to reboot three times as the router starts to a crawl, and has the silly settings glitch.

i've had this thing for about a week now. will run 205, and if that build holds up i'll keep this thing. otherwise, this thing is beyond disappointing.

tat is wat happens to me as well. out of sudden, no internet. means router lan port wil keep blinking, though no data transfer..

anyone tried merlin beta build? this problem still exist?

try setting your dhcp query frequency under your WAN-Internet Connection setup to Normal Mode.

Worked for me...

205 feels noticeably faster for me than 291 with webpage loading.
and 291 wasnt even giving me my full upload consistently.

so that, the lock ups, and slow UI loading tells me to stay with 205 for a while.

WPS Resets SSIDs

I have experienced this with two different AC68s. When I try to connect a Linksys WUMC710 bridge via WPS it resets both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs. I have not tried connecting manually yet. Anyone else have issues with WPS connections?

205 feels noticeably faster for me than 291 with webpage loading.
and 291 wasnt even giving me my full upload consistently.

so that, the lock ups, and slow UI loading tells me to stay with 205 for a while.

I have to say the more I work with 291 the more unstable it seems. I wonder too if Asus is going to recall the AC68's due to a hardware problem or something. I've gotten more and more complaints about "what's wrong with your WiFi". People with iPads, HTC Evo 4G LTE, and iPods are all complaining that they can connect but it's broken (can't transfer). I've never gotten those complaints before: from the same people when using the N66U. Even the PS3 has been losing it's WiFi connection randomly. Even one of my security cameras loses connection randomly and never reconnects. I have to go and physically pull the plug and restart it and then it'll stay connected for a while.

Either the firmware on this device was nowhere near ready for public consumption or these AC68's have a hardware issue. I'm hoping just the former.

Mike

it should be the fw problem coz I have no problem with Merlin build, or I don't have any fancy setup (no VPN setup,no port forwarding, ect, and I only have iptraffic on)

....... People with iPads, HTC Evo 4G LTE, and iPods are all complaining that they can connect but it's broken (can't transfer).

.......... Even the PS3 has been losing it's WiFi connection randomly. Even one of my security cameras loses connection randomly and never reconnects. I have to go and physically pull the plug and restart it and then it'll stay connected for a while.

Mike

This same behavior I'm experiencing on 5ghz network (frequent drop offs and never connecting back). 2.4ghz is much better in trems of drop offs. Is there a possible fix for this?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
This same behavior I'm experiencing on 5ghz network (frequent drop offs and never connecting back). 2.4ghz is much better in trems of drop offs. Is there a possible fix for this?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

Have you tried DDWRT build?

yeh i'm starting to think that theres either a recall since its out of stock everywhere, or the firmware is just so bad that theyre gonna keep it off the shelves for a few weeks til they can get something decent built firmware-wise.
then again, perhaps it is a hardware issue which has left them with the inability to write a good firmware.

my biggest disappointment with this thing is that this company decides to charge more than their competitors giving the impression of superior product, while offering whats possibly the worst firmware i've ever experienced on a router. not only do i feel ripped off, but i'm not sure whether its a hardware or firmware issue, and thus dont know whether to keep it or not.

Last edited:
yeh i'm starting to think that theres either a recall since its out of stock everywhere, or the firmware is just so bad that theyre gonna keep it off the shelves for a few weeks til they can get something decent built firmware-wise.
then again, perhaps it is a hardware issue which has left them with the inability to write a good firmware.

my biggest disappointment with this thing is that this company decides to charge more than their competitors giving the impression of superior product, while offering whats possibly the worst firmware i've ever experienced on a router. not only do i feel ripped off, but i'm not sure whether its a hardware or firmware issue, and thus dont know whether to keep it or not.

In general, most computer companies won't recall the product unless it may cause fire or casualty. they would just suggest you to send your product for repair and they will pay for the shipping. ( this was my experience from Nikon, I had D600 and all all D600 cameras had mechanical problem, but Nikon did not admit it. However, Nikon had released new D610 to replace D600, and they were almost identical)

In general, most computer companies won't recall the product unless it may cause fire or casualty. they would just suggest you to send your product for repair and they will pay for the shipping. ( this was my experience from Nikon, I had D600 and all all D600 cameras had mechanical problem, but Nikon did not admit it. However, Nikon had released new D610 to replace D600, and they were almost identical)

Not all had the oil issue.

Even one of my security cameras loses connection randomly and never reconnects. I have to go and physically pull the plug and restart it and then it'll stay connected for a while.
Mike

Same problem here. I have 8 wireless IP security cameras.
On my RT-N66U never had a connectivity issue. With the RT-AC68U the two furthest cameras, they rarely connect now. The other cameras lose connection often then I have to power cycle them to reconnect.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!