What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does the 68u have an sd card slot? I really hope they kept it. It was a great surprise.

There is no SD card slot and there was no SD card slot on the ac66u or n66u, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Maybe you are thinking of a different model?

EDIT: I was mistaken about the n66u, didn't realize there was a hidden one on the inside. Now I understand why it was a "surprise".

Last edited:
There is no SD card slot and there was no SD card slot on the ac66u or n66u, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Maybe you are thinking of a different model?
The RT-N66U had an internal SD card slot. Not sure about the RT-AC66U or the RT-AC68U.

Only the RT-N66U had one.

I have seen the same issue. My RT-AC68U is great with the 2.4 GHz band but the 5 GHz band performance is not as good as my old RT-AC66U. The settings are identical with regard to channel, etc. However, for some reason the 68's 5 GHz band suffers from greater attenuation than the 66's.

That is odd, I have exactly the opposite experience. I have had much better 5Ghz performance on my RT-AC68U compared to my older RT-AC66U. I pulled the rt-ac66u and replaced it with the 68 in the same place and position. I had spent a long time fiddling with antenna placement on the RT-AC66U and just did a quick check on the RT-AC68U. I left both on auto channel and I see one other 5Ghz wifi in the neighborhood.

The RT-AC68U shows a noticeably stronger and much faster 5Ghz signal in the garage (maybe ~60 feet and 3-4 walls) using my Galaxy S4. The 5Ghz wasn't really usable in the garage before the upgrade and I tried fairly hard to get it working because my microwave takes out the 2.4Ghz quite well. Evil Panasonic "Inverter" microwaves, don't they know wifi is more important than more even heat when microwaving. :p

Now that I think about a new microwave would have been cheaper than upgrading the router. :eek:

What are we looking for in microwave specs to help in lessening interference? Not all microwaves are created equally? LOL

new firmware is out!

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

What are we looking for in microwave specs to help in lessening interference? Not all microwaves are created equally? LOL

The Panasonic Inverter line uses a much faster pulse rate, normal microwaves use 60 Hz pulses and the Inverters use 20 KHz to 45 KHz pulses. This improves the efficiency and allows better control of the power levels but leaves much smaller gaps in the 2.4 Ghz band for the wifi to use. All wifi knows how to deal with the massive nasty blanketing with noise of the 2.4 GHz space caused by a normal microwave because the gaps are big enough to transmit in when pulsed at 60 Hz. At 20 KHz there isn't enough room/time for wifi to get much done during the gaps. This is very noticeable in how well devices trying to use the 2.4 GHz band function with the microwave on.
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/Inverter.pdf

Last edited:
Just got my AC68 and upgraded to the latest firmware.

I have 50 down/10 up internet, and would typically get around 10-15 down and 5 up from my usual browsing position on the couch, using my 2.4 ghz RT-N16 with tomato firmware router.

Now I am getting full 50 down/10 up over wifi on the same 2.4 ghz network, havnt played with the 5ghz yet. Very pleased!

new firmware is out!

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

Hmm I don't see this listed on the site anywhere. The latest I see is 205. I picked one up from best buy today and I'd like to get the latest firmware. Nevermind I found it--only listed under win 8 32 bit...weird.

Last edited:
happy owners of AC68U, can you please check something for me?
I want to know what are the default CPU/memory clocks

And does anyone know what kind of memory AC68U is using?

the reason I am asking is that on AC56 (identical CPU), ASUS downclocked the memory from 800MHz to 533MHz (why would you cripple the performance??? there is no power or heat issues for memory to run at the rated speed!).

From personal experience I can confirm that going from 533 to 800 makes very noticeable difference...may be this is the reason that R7000 scores significantly faster on things like USB transfers...

command to run is nvram get clkfreq

Stock AC56U spits out 800,533
Stock R7000: 1000,800
Stock AC68U: ???

Last edited:
happy owners of AC68U, can you please check something for me?
I want to know what are the default CPU/memory clocks

And does anyone know what kind of memory AC68U is using?

the reason I am asking is that on AC56 (identical CPU), ASUS downclocked the memory from 800MHz to 533MHz (why would you cripple the performance??? there is no power or heat issues for memory to run at the rated speed!).

From personal experience I can confirm that going from 533 to 800 makes very noticeable difference...may be this is the reason that R7000 scores significantly faster on things like USB transfers...

command to run is nvram set clkfreq

Stock AC56U spits out 800,533
Stock R7000: 1000,800
Stock AC68U: ???

where do I run the command?

I would really like to know if the CTF on the RT-AC68U improves performance significantly or not. I know there is a penalty on the RT-AC66U with it disabled. Is there a penalty to have it disabled on the 68u?

I would really like to know if the CTF on the RT-AC68U improves performance significantly or not. I know there is a penalty on the RT-AC66U with it disabled. Is there a penalty to have it disabled on the 68u?

what is ctf?

Yes. On an RT-AC56U, WAN to LAN maxes out at around 240 Mbits without CTF. I expect the same results on the RT-AC68U since it's the same CPU.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!