What's new

Release RT-AC86U 11th January 2021 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41634

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wondering of the cpu_wait disabled cause temp issue fixed or not?

was this a problem with the previous official firmware ? I thought it was only on merlin FW

If anyone does update, please let me know what the command returns
Code:
pwr show

was this a problem with the previous official firmware ? I thought it was only on merlin FW
on previous official fw this problem not exist

the problem occur due to merlin used 41535 as GPL based source code, which is the latest GPL available when beta4b cooks , which the problem exist.
previous official 40451 was fine, I am wondering if asus correct the issue in this official 41634.

Last edited:
the problem occur due to merlin used 41535 as GPL based source code, which the problem exist.
previous official 40451 was fine, I am wondering if asus correct the issue in this official 41634.

thanks for clearing that up. now I'm definitely not updating to this firmware until we get any conformation about this issue.

CONFIRMED. Cpu Wait and Ethernet Auto Power Down both are DISABLED at 41634.
CPU TEMP at 41634: 76
CPU TEMP at 40451: 67
Downgraded back to 40451 successfully.
thx for that info. I will wait for fix this bug.

Clean upgrade to 41634. First remote node, then root node. Root node appeared to complete but webUI firmware banner still displayed previous RC2-9 beta version. So I uploaded again and the banner changed to 41634.

Removed the remote node to reset it. Restored w/Initialize the root node and configured the network. Fullcone NAT is now an option.

WiFi signals are great. Before and after touch test of root node heating indicates no change in heating. I'll trust their CPU operating temp for now.

This marks return to released firmware... no more beta testing required to get AiMesh 2.0.

OE

CONFIRMED. Cpu Wait and Ethernet Auto Power Down both are DISABLED at 41634.
CPU TEMP at 41634: 76
CPU TEMP at 40451: 67
Downgraded back to 40451 successfully.
Keep an eye on it. Recent Asus firmware is reported to auto upgrade which is not a bad idea for most users.

Keep an eye on it. Recent Asus firmware is reported to auto upgrade which is not a bad idea for most users.
My router will soon to be ran out of warranty, will roll to merlin's workaround when it is auto updated. Unless ASUS did this the cpu wait thing on purpose for some reason.
It has been a while since people discover it was disabled and I dont think asus did not know that.
Its winter here, so the rising temperature may not be a serious issue just yet.

Last edited:
My router will soon to be ran out of warranty, will roll to merlin's workaround when it is auto updated. Unless ASUS did this the cpu wait thing on purpose for some reason.
It has been a while since people discover it was disabled and I dont think asus did not know that.
Its winter here, so the rising temperature may not be a serious issue just yet.
There is a way to turn the settings back on with the stock Asus firmware. However, in or out of warranty does not matter if you want to use the Merlin firmware. Currently Merlin 384.19 is probably the most stable and what I am running. I had been running the Merlin 386.1 alpha and beta versions since they were released. My AC86U was running up to 93C with cpu_wait disabled. Enabled it was 81 to 85C in a 20C room. I do have a cooling fan on order (it is currently in a container in mid Pacific - slow boat from China). When I get the fan I will likely try the Asus stock and/or Merlin 386.1 again. As I do not use AiMesh it does not hurt to run an older version.
May I also add the Ozark Edge has recommendations for WIFI settings that work well for me!

There is a way to turn the settings back on with the stock Asus firmware. However, in or out of warranty does not matter if you want to use the Merlin firmware. Currently Merlin 384.19 is probably the most stable and what I am running. I had been running the Merlin 386.1 alpha and beta versions since they were released. My AC86U was running up to 93C with cpu_wait disabled. Enabled it was 81 to 85C in a 20C room. I do have a cooling fan on order (it is currently in a container in mid Pacific - slow boat from China). When I get the fan I will likely try the Asus stock and/or Merlin 386.1 again. As I do not use AiMesh it does not hurt to run an older version.
May I also add the Ozark Edge has recommendations for WIFI settings that work well for me!
Will definitely switch back to merlin when 386.1 is officially live, I am from 384.19 which is appeared to be unstable for me.
I am just worrying about the new stock fw will burn my cpu like hell because I am soon going to be out of warranty if the new fw broke my ac86u's cpu, its not possible for me to use a cooling fan because the router is next to my bed side.
93C is definitely a temperature I should be worry of.

Last edited:
If anyone does update, please let me know what the command returns
Code:
pwr show

on previous official fw this problem not exist

Using Win10's built-in OpenSSH Client from PowerShell (reboot the router after enabling SSH on port 22)...

PS C:\Users\OE> ssh OE@192.168.1.1

The authenticity of host '192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is *****.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.1' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.

OE@192.168.1.1's password: *****

OE@RT-AC86U-D240:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status Deactivated)

OE@RT-AC86U-D240:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

Enter exit to quit connection or let it timeout.

CPU seems to be running pretty warm at 88.572 C. What's the operating limit... 100 C?

Is there a command to enable CPU Wait? Or would this unfix something?

OE

Last edited:
Using Win10's built-in OpenSSH Client from PowerShell (reboot the router after enabling SSH on port 22)...

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED

CPU seems to be running pretty warm at 88.572 C. What's the operating limit... 100 C?

OE
normal running temperature for ac86u is about 60-70c.
at least I am running at 63 degree without any cooling solution. (rolled back to 40451)
my current room temperature is at 21 degree, so, you are the one to decide is 88c normal or not.
ac86u.png

Last edited:
Still on .384 which has been running great. How's wifi performance on this release those that have upgraded. Any devices dropping off the network map like previous version?

OE
try
Code:
 pwr config --cpuwait on

You may also try rest of pwr command features

Code:
Usage: pwr start
       pwr stop
       pwr config ...
                 [--wait on|off]             : keeps CPU in sleep state without spinning
                 [--ethapd on|off]           : Ethernet Auto Power Down Enable
                 [--eee    on|off]           : Energy Efficient Ethernet Enable (all ports)
                 [--dgm on|off]              : Switch Deep Green Mode Enable
       pwr show
       pwr help

My router (enviroment temp is 23-24 degree)
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp | awk {'print $1 / 1000}'

Last edited:

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED

Enter exit to quit connection or let it timeout.

OE

My root node CPU measures 90.525C while streaming a movie.
My remote node CPU measures 57.174C at rest.

I'll probably leave them be and keep an eye on the AX86U market.

Could open the root node and inspect the heatsink state.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!