What's new

RT-AC86U 2.4Ghz Can't Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My device had to be dud. I got an replacement and restored a settings backup and everything has been working fine since then on my 2.4GHz network.

So return it as defective! If you have so many devices unable to use the router, why keep playing with it? You must know what you are doing if you are installing third-party firmware, so call it defective and get another one that works like it should. And add your clients back one at a time in case one is defeating your network.

I've deployed six 86Us and none of them have a 2.4 GHz band issue. I setup the WiFi and the devices connect. Done. WiFi doesn't require playing with all of the settings.

OE

Not quite sure what warrants this hostile tone.

@RMerlin - what's the default for "airtime fairness", and I wonder if there were Broadcom changes in the WL firmware that is causing issues here.

Seeing a lot of reports on the 2.4GHz side with many devices...

My device had to be dud. I got an replacement and restored a settings backup and everything has been working fine since then on my 2.4GHz network.

Not quite sure what warrants this hostile tone.

I wasn't being hostile. I was being matter-of-fact. These routers are designed for nearly plug and play WiFi... see the setup guide. If you don't have WiFi after the basic setup, never mind everything you tried, then you should return it as DOA. Sounds like you finally did.

OE

@RMerlin - what's the default for "airtime fairness", and I wonder if there were Broadcom changes in the WL firmware that is causing issues here.

Seeing a lot of reports on the 2.4GHz side with many devices...

The default on Asus stock firmware is enabled, and the default on my firmware (assuming one does a factory default reset) is disabled.

The Logitech Harmony Hub is randomly causing issues for all clients on 2.4Ghz. I'm not sure why though.

Last edited:
In my case the firmware is the bug.
The latest firmware change and 2.4ghz randomly stop working and when this happens the 2.4ghz LED also goes out.

My solution for now is the is the 384.3 firmware .Whit this firmware all wifi working perfectly.

Sorry for my english

Hi, i bought my RT-AC86U yesterday and soon saw that problem with the 2.4ghz band, so i fixed it by placing the antenna: the middle one up and the side antennas I placed them slightly inclined (45 degrees) outwards and works awesome

Last edited:
Hi, i bought my RT-AC86U yesterday and soon saw that problem with the 2.4ghz band, so i fixed it by placing the antenna: the middle one up and the side antennas I placed them slightly inclined (45 degrees) outwards and works awesome

I call that a 'facing W formation'... I doubt moving the antennas fixed or had anything to do with a 2.4 GHz band problem, unless they were loose. It only shifts the beam source orientation and hence broadcast pattern a bit. If WiFi were that sensitive to antenna position, most home users would be lost.

First step with your new 86U would be to confirm firmware 45717 is installed, then perform a factory default reset w/Initialization from within the router webUI, and then configure it from scratch.

OE

I call that a 'facing W formation'... I doubt moving the antennas fixed or had anything to do with a 2.4 GHz band problem, unless they were loose. It only shifts the beam source orientation and hence broadcast pattern a bit. If WiFi were that sensitive to antenna position, most home users would be lost.

First step with your new 86U would be to confirm firmware 45717 is installed, then perform a factory default reset w/Initialization from within the router webUI, and then configure it from scratch.

OE

Hi, i'm sorry, but so it was, after installing the router I did the firmware update and everything worked well except the 2.4ghz, I changed the 2.4ghz settings many times and there was no way it would work, until it occurred to me to change The position of the antennas and believe me it worked instantly.

Hi, i'm sorry, but so it was, after installing the router I did the firmware update and everything worked well except the 2.4ghz, I changed the 2.4ghz settings many times and there was no way it would work, until it occurred to me to change The position of the antennas and believe me it worked instantly.

Your antennas must have been really messed up then to begin with. What position were they in before you moved them to the W position. Also, what firmware are you on now? You say current? What version because the "latest" has issue and many people have rolled it back to a version from May 2019.

Try gently moving the antennas back to their original not-working position and then tell us if the 2.4 GHz problem returns. This should be a simple way to prove your theory.

OE

Hello, of course, it could have been a coincidence, but I perceived that after trying different configurations, the router had the latest Asus firmware installed at that time, although now I installed the last Asuswrt-Merlin

Hi, just in case someone is still deciding if he/she should return the device as defective.
I had the following issues with my RT-AC86U on 2.4GHz SSID (with various freq):
- not connectable (but requiring authentication)
- connected, but no IP assigned on the device (although on the router the connected device had been assigned an IP address)
- connected, IP assigned but connection extremely slow, Wireshark showed allot of TCP retries, pingable with high loss

I spoke with ASUS tech support and I was told to return this to the seller (in EU countries in terms of statutory warranty for defects during 2 years from purchasing), and that the seller will send them the router for verification and replacement.
Today I received an email that the unit has been replaced, and will be shipped.
So basically this only confirms what was already stated here many times that AC86U and others have some problems in regards to the 2.4GHz

[Edit]

I got replacement yesterday evening and the manufacturing date is 2019, the broken unit was from 2018, the same HW revision (1.5 if I recall correctly)

cheers

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!