RT-AC86U 2.4GHz problems

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Interesting - back in early June 2019, I bought from Amazon a "renewed" AC86. It was fine except for the tiny detail that 5GHz clients would only connect when there was no WPA2 security. If WPA2 security was enabled, it would not connect. 2.4 clients were fine. If I entered a bad password, it failed with a bad password message. But if the password was good, after a long pause, it returned with couldn't get an IP address. Tried a number of things, but always the same results. Sent it back to Amazon a week later and bought a new unit. It has worked fine without issues

noluck4

Occasional Visitor
I literally got hit with this this weekend. 2.4 kicks everyone and drops to channel 0. I have been having sporadic problems but now only a reset or reboot solves it. I thought about installing Merlin but figured it 2 different firmware's don't work, this wont either. I have set up an RMA, awaiting the email that may never arrive.
I am tempted to just go get whatever POS is passing for a router from my ISP.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@noluck4, you give such little evidence of the issues and any steps taken to solve your problems.

You also underestimate what RMerlin firmware can offer, along with a full reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

The links in my signature below may help? The M&M Config and possibly/additionally the Nuclear reset too.

I hope the RMA goes through if that is what you really want. Either way, with your existing or replacement router, the above links are highly recommended to get your router, network and client devices to a good/known state. :)

noluck4

Occasional Visitor
@noluck4, you give such little evidence of the issues and any steps taken to solve your problems.

You also underestimate what RMerlin firmware can offer, along with a full reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

The links in my signature below may help? The M&M Config and possibly/additionally the Nuclear reset too.

I hope the RMA goes through if that is what you really want. Either way, with your existing or replacement router, the above links are highly recommended to get your router, network and client devices to a good/known state. :)
I was not aware I needed to give evidence with so many posts stating the same thing. Downgrading firmware to what it came with did not help. Upgrading firmware did not help. Full resets with both do not help.

I do not see how adding third party firmware to something that should literally work out of the box untouched for longer than 5 months, would be a benefit other than voiding the warranty and giving me a $150 brick. Bad hardware is bad hardware. The best way to get everything to a working state is something that works as intended.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@noluck4, you misunderstood what I meant. ;)

Flashing RMerlin firmware, coding, btw, which Asus implements into their official firmware as their own (eventually), has never bricked an Asus router as far as I know. As a matter of fact; bricking an Asus router with what RMerlin offers us is nigh impossible.

The best way to get everything to a working state is to draw on and use the experience of others (as I have done to summarize the steps of the giants that have walked this way before me). :)

noluck4

Occasional Visitor
@noluck4, you misunderstood what I meant. ;)
No, I fully understand. Your solution is not the right solution for me.

@noluck4, Flashing RMerlin firmware, coding, btw, which Asus implements into their official firmware as their own (eventually), has never bricked an Asus router as far as I know. As a matter of fact; bricking an Asus router with what RMerlin offers us is nigh impossible.
Bricking is NOT the issue. The issue is I am 5 months into a 2 year warranty. Installing third party software onto said router voids said warranty. That is in the fine print of the warranty. I have experience with Merlin, OpenWRT, and DDWRT. Not drawing on the experience of reading the fine print and weigh the possible consequences only serves to turn a aggravating problem into an expensive lesson. Whether or not ASUS implements it into their firmware is moot. Whether its nigh impossible is moot. What matters is the warranty and what it exists for. Installing said firmware would only give me a brick as I would then have a $150 router that I cannot do anything with as the warranty is thus void and it would still not work. In essence it is then a brick.

@noluck4,The best way to get everything to a working state is to draw on and use the experience of others (as I have done to summarize the steps of the giants that have walked this way before me). :)
The errors I am getting, research into the forums and steps I have taken indicates a hardware problem. The ONLY and best way to fix bad hardware is to replace the hardware. It would be pointless, let alone reckless to band-aid bad hardware that is only going to stop working again at some point, when a viable inexpensive warranty solution is available.

ligeza

Occasional Visitor
On main router AC86U (which worked without any problems) I restored firmware default and setup again. I didn't setup Aiprotection and any QoS, only basic settings. After that my node (second AC86U) is working since few days without any problems. So maybe the problem with 2.4GHz is no always hardware related. Before that I was loosing 2.4 Ghz every 1-2 days.

edit
I was happy to soon. I again lost 2.4GHz on node ac86u.

Last edited:

Grisu

Part of the Furniture
You wont loose warrenty with Merlin's firmware, it is worldwide accepted by Asus, we never heard or read about problems with Merlin on the router.
If you buy a laptop or something else you can often read warrenty loss even if you make necassary BIOS updates, just forget it, not worth the paper or space on screen!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@noluck4 I wish you lots of luck getting your issues fixed since you don't seem too keen on allowing help from where help is freely available. :rolleyes:

oldelpaso

New Around Here
2.4ghz issue started for me few days ago. My rt-86u is more than 2.5years in use. I dont even use 2.4ghz band 24/7, but only switch it on when needed. So few days ago I switched it on as usual and immediately started getting crackling noise from pc subwoofers (which are placed above router). Also 2.4.ghz clients was getting disconnects all the time. Previously all was fine. There was no router placement changes or any updates to anything done prior this started to happen. Also I noticed that http (!) access to webUI started to time-out... I did reboot router, restart httpd few times but it did not help. After I enabled https on default port 8443 and using that. https works. Its very strange, becouse I read in forum here that ppl often have problems with https access to webui, not http.

Later, to try to fix issue with 2.4ghz I did update merlin fw after from 384.13 to 384.18 but it did not solve anything. Entered google and found out that 2.4ghz is faced for many ppl.
So I ended up disabling 2.4ghz band and will now rely to use 5ghz (which works stable as before). No annoyuing crackling sound in subwoofers.