What's new

RT AC86U 2900 firmware update.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grommit

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I'm new to a lot of this stuff. I've just bought an RT AC86U 2900, running 3.0.0.4.386_41634 firmware, but want to use vpn split tunneling (some devices using expressvpn, some not). If I update to to Merlin, will split tunneling be available to me? And I won't lose any router functionality?

Thanks in adavnce. Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. I'm a bit worried most posts refer to RT AC86U, not RT AC86U 2900...

The "RT-AC86U 2900" is the same as "RT-AC86U". Some sellers just like adding lots of different words to the title.

Yes Merlin's firmware does do split tunnelling with its Policy Based Routing.

Calling your router the AC86U is just fine.
Flashing the Merlin firmware will give you many more functions and a newer version of OpenVPN. Not sure about split tunnels.
If you decide to stay with Asus firmware you should upgrade to the 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version as it fixes several security issues.

Calling your router the AC86U is just fine.
Flashing the Merlin firmware will give you many more functions and a newer version of OpenVPN. Not sure about split tunnels.
If you decide to stay with Asus firmware you should upgrade to the 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version as it fixes several security issues.
Hi Bbunge. Thanks for that, but I think I'll give Merlin a go. I really want to seperate my traffic between vpn and non vpn.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!