What's new

RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

o-l-a-v

Regular Contributor
Rather than creating a new thread every time a new firmware is released for Asus RT-AC86U, I suggest we maintain one thread. This gives us one place to:
- Easily find reports about how previous firmwares functioned, if current is not that great.
- Subscribe to. Don't have to subscribe to a new thread every time a new firmware appears.

All downloads and changelogs are also available at ASUS.com.

Downloads - Firmware

Downloads - GPL

Changelogs:
3.0.0.4.384.10007 (02.01.2018)
57.23 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10007
New feature
AiMesh: an innovative new router feature that connects multiple ASUS routers to create a whole-home WiFi network.
Refer to https://www.asus.com/aimesh/ for more detail.

Security fixed
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Joaquim's contribution.
- Fixed LAN RCE vulnerability. An independent security researcher has reported this vulnerability to Beyond Security’s SecuriTeam Secure Disclosure program
- Fixed remote code execution vulnerability. Thanks to David Maciejak of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs

Bug fixed
- Fixed network map abnormal responded time issues
- Fixed client list issues.
- Fixed AiCloud smart sync issue.

Boost Samba write performance up to 30%. To get full USB 3.0 speed, please disable "reducing USB 3.0 interference".

Last edited:
I have the RT-AC86U. I used the built in UI to check to see if the new 3.0.0.4.384.10007 firmware was there. Just by taking that look, it automatically installed the new firmware. Unfortunately, I wanted to wait a couple of weeks for bugs to filter out. How do I change the settings so I can "check", but not automatically install?

BTW, I haven't had a chance to test it much, but at least the Internet connection still works. I wanted a chance to do some before/after speed comparisons...

I have the RT-AC86U. I used the built in UI to check to see if the new 3.0.0.4.384.10007 firmware was there. Just by taking that look, it automatically installed the new firmware. Unfortunately, I wanted to wait a couple of weeks for bugs to filter out. How do I change the settings so I can "check", but not automatically install?

BTW, I haven't had a chance to test it much, but at least the Internet connection still works. I wanted a chance to do some before/after speed comparisons...

I accidentally did the same thing. At first I thought the firmware was solid, but over the last couple of days I've noticed that there are occasionally delays to accessing internet websites and devices (webcams, RT-AC68U acting as AP) within my LAN. Sometimes I can't even get to my webcams.

Observations from fighting with Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007:

1. The capability to manually assign a MAC address doesn't work. This worked very well with previous firmware versions on the RT-AC68U. MAC cloning works. As there are no release notes covering this, I can't speculate if the intention was to lose the manual MAC address capability, or if this was an oversight in the coding. After setting the MAC address and rebooting the router, I ended up with an indication that the ISP DHCP was not working. MAC addresses that I know will work with the RT-AC68U on pre-.382 firmware will not work on the 86U. So for now, it looks like this is broken.

2. Reassigning the LAN IP address doesn't work as it should. Assigning 10.0.0.1 works, but higher addresses don't. I wasn't able to fully explore if anything above 10.0.0.1 would work at all or if any of the other private address ranges would work, so, all I can do is point this out. After setting other LAN IP addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, I would see the alert that the LAN IP address had changed, but, I was never able to get back into the router to view or change anything. I ended up trying the NVRAM clear routine to clear everything and reboot the 86U.

3. The old NVRAM clear doesn't work. As in, shut down the 86U, then holding down the WPS button, restart the 86U and keep holding down the WPS button for 30 seconds and release. Does anyone know if this is supposed to work on the 86U? The router wouldn't reboot so I ended up shutting it down and restarting it. After the restart I was able to get back into the router to change the settings but, it looks like the NVRAM clear did not take place.

fwiw......

3. The old NVRAM clear doesn't work. As in, shut down the 86U, then holding down the WPS button, restart the 86U and keep holding down the WPS button for 30 seconds and release. Does anyone know if this is supposed to work on the 86U? The router wouldn't reboot so I ended up shutting it down and restarting it. After the restart I was able to get back into the router to change the settings but, it looks like the NVRAM clear did not take place.

fwiw......

You could restore factory settings through the Asus Web-UI or press the reset button on the back after the RT-AC86U has booted.

2. Reassigning the LAN IP address doesn't work as it should. Assigning 10.0.0.1 works, but higher addresses don't. I wasn't able to fully explore if anything above 10.0.0.1 would work at all or if any of the other private address ranges would work, so, all I can do is point this out. After setting other LAN IP addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, I would see the alert that the LAN IP address had changed, but, I was never able to get back into the router to view or change anything. I ended up trying the NVRAM clear routine to clear everything and reboot the 86U.

I don't have any problem setting up a 192.168.68 address range for my network, so perhaps the issue is isolated to the 10.x.x.x range.

One thing I am seeing with this firmware and the previous firmware is that data stops flowing over the 5 GHz band. I can see and select the band, but no data. In one instance, data stopped flowing when I tried to view a webpage. Its happened several times now with this latest firmware.

One thing I am seeing with this firmware and the previous firmware is that data stops flowing over the 5 GHz band. I can see and select the band, but no data. In one instance, data stopped flowing when I tried to view a webpage. Its happened several times now with this latest firmware.
Not experiencing this, but you mentioned webpage hanging. Does it just stop for a few seconds? No connection?

Sometimes a few seconds. Other times appears permanently non-responsive.

The new firmware is working fine for me, with only one issue.

I use wireless scheduling, switching wifi off during the night hours.
Sometimes, the wifi switches off, then back on, just fine.

Other times it switches off, but requires reboot from a wired device to wake up the wifi again.

Once ever, the scheduled wifi switch off turned the router off totally. I had to power it up the next morning.

Up till now, wireless scheduling has worked fine on factory, & various Merlin installations.

(Yes, restored to factory defaults, & I don’t use the mesh function).

Is this a random firmware problem, or is my router going bad?

Last edited:
Not experiencing this, but you mentioned webpage hanging. Does it just stop for a few seconds? No connection?

This issue hasn't happened since I did a full reset and reentered the settings manually.

Hi guys,

Last week I purchased an Asus RT-AC68U router and when I installed it I also upgraded to the latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.384.10007. Force of habbit. So I don't know if the problem I'm going to describe was there before or not.

I got this router mainly for the ability to independently adjust the Tx power for each Wi-Fi band (2.4 and 5 GHz). The problem is that when I lower the Tx power adjustment slider for the 2.4 GHz band it ALSO affects the coverage and speed of the 5GHz band, although the Tx power adjustment for the 5 GHz band is set to the maximum. It feels like the Tx power adjustment slider works in fact for BOTH of the bands at the same time, but keeping the setting of the 2.4 GHz band. For me this makes no sense given that each band has its own Tx power adjustment slider, so it would be only logical to be able to adjust the Tx power independently. I would really like to be able to set the 2.4 GHz band, wich I rarely use, to a minimum power, while setting the 5 GHz band to the maximum. It seems like I can't do that right now.

Did you also run into this problem, can you tell me if your device does the same? Thanks!

Yes. Their answer was resetting the router and reinstalling the firmware. But it was a standard copy-paste text and they didn’t answer clearly if the device is supposed to do that or not...

Well, problem solved. I really don't know what did the trick. I played a little with the TX power adjustment sliders, rebooted the router... and it seems to be working fine now.

Again, is there a way to have the firmware NOT automatically update? How do I change the settings so I can "check", but not automatically install?

Thanks!

Again, is there a way to have the firmware NOT automatically update? How do I change the settings so I can "check", but not automatically install?

Thanks!

You can't, it's something enabled at the time the firmware is compiled, it's not configurable by the user. You would have to download Asus's code, disable the feature, and recompile the firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!