What's new

RT-AC86U AiMemsh router, can't add RT-AC68U AiMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blexann

New Around Here
I'm having a hell of a time trying to add RT-AC68U node to my existing RT-AC86U AiMesh router. My laptop is connected wirelessly to the 86U and the 68U is nearby in the same room,

I log on to the 86u router and select add AiMesh node and it does see the 68u router, I select connect and get the spinning wheel and then I get this:

Unable to add your AiMesh node RT-AC68U (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) to your AiMesh system due to the following situations. Please check and try again.
  1. Someone else is trying to set up an AiMesh system. Please wait 1 minute and try again.
  2. your AiMesh router and node should be within 3 meters of each other during the setup process.
  3. Make sure your AiMesh node is powered on.
  4. Your AiMesh node has been upgraded to AiMesh-supported firmware.
  5. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default
I factor reset the 68U using the power off hold down the WPS method

Any help on this

Thanks

I would setup the 68 to the point that you can reset to default from the menu, and try again. I think you can also reset to default my holding the reboot button for about 15 seconds.

on AC68U you should in Administration - Operating mode set AiMesh Node then router will clear nvram and reboot. After reboot do not log to AC68U router at all.

Then just for AiMesh pairing move AC68U very close to AC86U and setup AiMesh/

Last edited:
Factory reset the router then I suggest connect a cables from your AC86u LAN port to the AC68u WAN port. Then try run the Ai-Mesh pairing mode.
Also, if you're using the Asus router app make sure you remove the AC68u from the list of devices. I noticed that this interferes with the Ai-Mesh pairing mode.

I didn't want to do this but factory resetting both routers did the trick.
Thanks all for your help

Have another unrelated issue, the 68u is showing weak signal and drops a few times a day.

Have another unrelated issue, the 68u is showing weak signal and drops a few times a day.

It is related, actually. I never had a chance to test stable AiMesh system with mixed routers. 2x AC86U work well, but weirdness starts shortly after adding AC66U_B1 or AC68U node. Connection lost, node disappeared, etc. AiMesh with stock Asuswrt firmware was more stable compared to Asuswrt-Merlin, but still not what I was expecting to see.

hm at my loc now I do not have AiMesh on and do not remember if those options are available but if yes try to set/change at main router Channel bandwidth from 80 to 40 etc. set Control Channel not as Auto

I did not had issues with different routers set as AiMesh AC68U for example connected with 2 AC66U_B1 or AX56U with AX55U.
Are you using on both routers latest RMerlin? I am just asking as I see AsusWRT only when I program router to different soft like RMerlin or not even then if I use Asus Firmare restoration :)

Are you using on both routers latest RMerlin?

All routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_4 were more unstable compared to latest available Asuswrt. I know Merlin does not change AiMesh code, but based on my observations the most stable AiMesh was with 3x AC86U running Asuswrt. I run Ruckus at home and Cisco at my business, perhaps my expectations were set too high. AiMesh is useable, but not maintenance free. I agree, there is a price difference between SMB and home equipment.

I didn't want to do this but factory resetting both routers did the trick.
Thanks all for your help

ok so with regards to this I did upgrade my 68U TO 386.2_6 and fiddled a bit with the channels on the 86u. So far I am seeing a BIG difference in that I'm not getting the constant drops on the 68U and no longer see the "weak signal" on the connection quality, currently and consistently now shows "great". So not sure if it was the firmware upgrade or the changing of he channel, never the less I will continue to monitor

My 86u is on the first floor of my house and the 68u on the 2nd floor

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!