What's new

RT-AC86U and Asus XT8 (as access point)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jomsjoms

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using an Asus RT-AC86U as my router and an RT-AC87U as an access point (which my brother will get).

Is it possible to remove the AC87U and replace it with the XT8?

The link between the AC86U router to the 1st XT8 will be a CAT6 cable. The link between the 1st XT8 and the 2nd XT8 will be wireless (5GHZ).

Do I setup both the 1st and 2nd XT8 as access point? (I want to have only 1 SSID for both the 1st and 2nd XT8 and another SSID for the AC86U)

Is this possible?

You could set them up as either APs, or as AiMesh nodes to the RT-AC86U (if you wanted the same SSID for everything).

Oh, i can set all as AiMesh nodes even if they are not all AX routers? That's nice to know.

How do i set them up as AiMesh nodes to the RT-AC86U? Should i enter the main menu of the RT-AC86U or do i enter the menu of the XT8?

Nodes are always added from the primary router. Just make sure the nodes are all set to their factory default settings first.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!