What's new

RT-AC86U and Chromecast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Valsoray

New Around Here
Hi, I'm going to bring back the old "Asus with Chromecast" issue. So I've got the Asus RT-AC86U (aka AC2900) and noticed Chromecast devices disappear from mobile apps after some period of time.

I did disable the Airtime Fairness for both of the bands, but looks like it didn't help much. The only thing helps it's to reboot the router. After that all the Chromecast devices become visible again and can be reached with any mobile app. However after some time (maybe half a day) the devices disappear again. Is there any other setting I'm missing maybe? The firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868.

One more thing I've noticed. One of the devices is located further away from the router and it usually connects to 2.4Hz band. This device stays visible after all 5Hz devices disappear, but eventually it drops off as well. Maybe it will help.

Will appreciate any help as I really like the router, but I don't want to restart it everytime I want to cast anything to my TV.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm going to bring back the old "Asus with Chromecast" issue. So I've got the Asus RT-AC86U (aka AC2900) and noticed Chromecast devices disappear from mobile apps after some period of time.

I did disable the Airtime Fairness for both of the bands, but looks like it didn't help much. The only thing helps it's to reboot the router. After that all the Chromecast devices become visible again and can be reached with any mobile app. However after some time (maybe half a day) the devices disappear again. Is there any other setting I'm missing maybe? The firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868.

One more thing I've noticed. One of the devices is located further away from the router and it usually connects to 2.4Hz band. This device stays visible after all 5Hz devices disappear, but eventually it drops off as well. Maybe it will help.

Will appreciate any help as I really like the router, but I don't want to restart it everytime I want to cast anything to my TV.

Thanks!

Are you using the same SSID for both bands? Smart Connect? Auto channels? Have you tried using separate SSIDs, no Smart Connect, and fixed channels?

I also wonder about disabling Universal Beamforming with older Chromecast devices.

OE

Yes, the SSID is the same for both bands. Smart connect has only one option available (dual band).

I did try fixed channels with no luck.

Yes, the SSID is the same for both bands. Smart connect has only one option available (dual band).

I did try fixed channels with no luck.

The wireless client decides where to connect. With the same SSID for both bands and both bands changing channels... maybe the Chromecast clients and apps can't cope. I'd try nailing them done for lack of a better idea.

OE

It did work perfectly fine with my previous router. I wish it worked with the same ssid.

I'll give it a try though, thanks for the suggestion.

I have exactly the same problem. Did not have the problem some months ago, did not changed the config. Tried updating firmware, disabled Airtime Fairness (which did the trick when I bought the router if I remind correctly).
Today I tried my older Chromecast exact same issue as with my 4K Chromecast.
Maybe will try alternate Merlin firmware ...

I had severe problems with all my Google devices including the Chromecast. I disabled Airtime Fairness, IGMP Snooping and MU Mimo. Especially after disabling MU Mimo everything came back to normal for me.

I had severe problems with all my Google devices including the Chromecast. I disabled Airtime Fairness, IGMP Snooping and MU Mimo. Especially after disabling MU Mimo everything came back to normal for me.
I already have those settings. But yesterday I tried " Protected Management Frames " = Capable. And it seems working half better, when I cant cast anymore I shut off my wifi on my cell and start it then I see the chromecast again. Before I had to turn the wifi OFF/ON on the router. Will wait and test later again...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!