What's new

RT-AC86U cant ping or access it have no Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cw-kid

Regular Contributor
Hi

My router just stopped working properly. I can no longer ping it on 192.168.0.1 or access it's admin page, either via a hard wired PC or a wireless laptop.

My laptop can still connect to the WiFi access point OK, but then has no Internet access.

I can from the wireless laptop then ping other things on the LAN OK however, like my file server, but just not the router itself.

The WLAN on the laptop was DHCP and IPCONFIG still says the default gateway is 192.168.0.1

The Internet light on the router was red initially, but after I power cycled the BT Openreach DSL modem, the Internet light on the Asus router went white, but I still have no Internet and still cannot ping the router.

I then set a static IP on the laptop and added another secondary IP in the 192.168.1.0 subnet, wondering if the router had changed its IP somehow back to that subnet but it has not.

I have powered off the router and back on again several times but still no ping or Web GUI for it.

I cannot SSH into the router either on the 192.168.0.1 address.

Not sure what to do next as something seems really messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just tried the Asus Device Discovery application and that doesn't find the router either. Neither does the Asus router app on my Android phone.

If I have to factory reset the router, will it go back to stock Asus firmware as apposed to Merlin ?

Thanks.

What hardware revision is this RT-AC68U router with white LEDs and red WAN disconnected light?

You perhaps* have RT-AC86U router and the default LAN IP is 192.168.50.1, unless you have changed it to 192.168.0.1.

* - based on your other posts.

Last edited:
Hi

Yes the leds are all white and the WAN when disconnected is red.

I did change the routers IP myself to 192.168.0.1 previously.

However I did use Angry IP scanner earlier tonight, on my laptop when that was using a secondary IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

And no devices other than the laptop itself were found in that 192.168.1.x subnet.

So the router I don't think has switched itself back to an IP in that subnet.

It's strange I can still connect my laptop to the routers regular access point and it says the default gateway is still 192.168.0.1

But I cannot ping the router on that address or access it's admin page and seems I still have no Internet.

DHCP server is still running on the router or my laptop wouldn't get an IP of 192.168.0.108 when the IPv4 adapter is set to use DHCP etc.

Ipconfig /all says the gateway is 192.168.0.1 but why I can't ping or connect to the router I have no idea.

Yet from the laptop on the wireless connection I can ping OK the file server on 192.168.0.2 and a bunch of other devices on the LAN.

Seems the router is screwed up but some basic comms are still working.

No, the firmware won't change, only the settings.
Hi

I did take a backup of the settings a while ago, there is a backup file on my server some where.

So if I do a factory reset on the router it will remain on the same version of the Merlin firmware but just wipe all the settings back to their defaults?

I recently updated the Merlin firmware, last month I think, to whatever was the latest version then.

The Asus app on phone says the firmware is version 3.0.0.4.348.14_2

Actually I just checked my downloads folder the last Merlin firmware I installed on the router was on the 6/4/22 and was version 386.5_2 and that update all went fine and everything worked OK then.

Looks like I also backed up the settings and the jffs at that same time as well as I can see I have two backup files with the same date.

Just today for whatever reason this issue happened.

You have no much options but to reset the router to factory defaults and see if it boots properly. If it doesn't, then your router has some hardware issues.

OK thanks, I will read up on how to reset it to defaults and try that in the morning.

So the default IP we think will be 192.168.1.1 right? Or maybe 192.168.50.1

And I assume it will also reset the admin password to defaults whatever that is?

admin and admin ?

My daughter is going crazy with no WiFi LOL.

Last edited:
Hi

I did the factory reset with the WPS button and I was then able to access the router again on 192.168.1.1

I got in to its web GUI and then restored my settings backup file and also restored the jffs partition.

I can now access the router on its regular 192.168.0.1 address and my laptop and other devices now have Internet connection OK again.

My VPN client on the router seems to have a problem however and is no longer connecting and says "Error - check configuration!". Looking in that section of the GUI, I can see all the VPN settings are also present and have been restored, so not sure what's going on with that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!