What's new

RT-AC86U - Configure Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks again for your time

i have followed your instructions however i dont see any changes at all

1643866942024.png

1643866829236.png

when i ran the script, i dont see any changes at all on the router as every port is still at 100Mbps

1643867080298.png

am i doing something wrong?

Ok, when you run the script manually, no errors were reported?

To be clear, the script only effects eth0, which is the WAN port. The script will not do anything for the LAN ports. Secondly, as Colin noted above, the 1GBit mode has auto negotiation automatically set and can not be unset. This means that the router may have tried to negotiate a 1Gbit connection when the script executed, could not, and dropped back down to 100Mbit. Have you checked the syslog after running the script to see if error or information messages show up (you may have to set the error level to info or debug)?

So, I would start looking at what is connected to your Router. What is your WAN connected to? Does that equipment support 1BGit connection? Have you tried changing the lan cable to the upstream equipment?

Last thought I have, seeing that all your ports are operating at 100Mbits, are you sure you don't have a hardware issue with your router?

Sorry for the late reply, have been quite busy with some personal stuff

I will attempt to run the script again and recheck the logs

The router is connected to an ONT device that does support 1Gbit connection

I am using CAT5E cables for all the cabling but will attempt to replace them with CAT6 cables when i can

Regarding faulty hardware... I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot that especially 1 port is connected to a Gigabit switch and the output is still showing as 100Mbps. Logs do indicate 100Mbps Full Duplex connection on the ethernet ports

Cat6 does not buy you anything over Cat5e cabling. Either is good for up to 2.5Gbits/sec. Cat6 may go higher, but your router won't.

Ensure that you use copy/paste to get the script from my earlier post here over into your router. Do not attempt to re-type it by hand (you will make mistakes causing it not to work).

Ensure that you use copy/paste to get the script from my earlier post here over into your router. Do not attempt to re-type it by hand (you will make mistakes causing it not to work).
sorry for the late reply, i didnt get an email notification hence was not aware of any post made

that said, i have copy/paste the script as you can see in my screenshot earlier
i just ran the script again and dont see anything in the system log

this is what i see after running it, nothing after that

1644866694686.png

I did a little self test myself (though the results were a little botched and frustrating) please hear me out (or my rant)

I decided to test buy taking my current air mesh node (AC68U), performed a hard reset and reconfigured it as primary

Upon connection, you can see that the ports are set to 1 Gbps. This means cables and connections are fine as is

1644875800035.png

Issue then however was with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386.46065)
where i would be stuck in a wan connecting / disconnecting state which lasted more than an hour! Tried rebooting etc but nothing worked

1644875829735.png

Decided to go back to the AC86U (Merlin 386.4) and that connected fine after booting up and performing a soft reboot just once but still stuck at 100 Mbps on all ports

Am i doomed and will have to stick with this 100 Mbps madness? Can we safely say its a hardware issue or could this be potentially fixed via firmware upgrade?

That doesn't mean cables and connections are 'fine as-is' to me. Time to thoroughly test with new cables. Using a $10 'dumb' switch in between won't hurt either when trying to find the root cause.

nope didn't work unfortunately. got me a new pair of CAT 6 cables. showing as 1Gbps at first then after a restart went back to 100Mbps

i had to restart because it kept on going in a connect / disconnect loop

happy to report that 386.5 seems to have fixed the problem, i was a little skeptical at first because there were about 10 to 15mins of WAN connection dramas after upgrade
multiple restarts later, the router just connected and i can see all the LAN ports at 1Gbps

will monitor this, hopefully it will just stay that way

Thanks Merlin

Spoke too soon, about 30 mins in and it disconnected itself. Now I'm back at the connect / disconnect loop. FML

another 10 to 15 mins of fluffing around and restarting it connected

1646688489200.png

not ideal but i need to stay connected

just refreshed the page and its back to normal now, sigh

1646688558165.png

Last edited:
Spoke too soon, about 30 mins in and it disconnected itself. Now I'm back at the connect / disconnect loop. FML

another 10 to 15 mins of fluffing around and restarting it connected

View attachment 40038

not ideal but i need to stay connected

just refreshed the page and its back to normal now, sigh

View attachment 40039

When weirdness comes and goes, I suspect the hardware... what is the country and date of manufacture on your AC86U? One failure mode is a voltage regulator burning out... before it goes, marginal voltage can cause weird affects.

In these situations when the hardware is not doing what it normally should do, I declare it unfit for network duty and retire it. Your call, of course.

(Running a script to fix autosensing Ethernet ports is not a solution.)

OE

When weirdness comes and goes, I suspect the hardware... what is the country and date of manufacture on your AC86U? One failure mode is a voltage regulator burning out... before it goes, marginal voltage can cause weird affects.

In these situations when the hardware is not doing what it normally should do, I declare it unfit for network duty and retire it. Your call, of course.

(Running a script to fix autosensing Ethernet ports is not a solution.)

OE

How do you check that, the country and date of manufacture? Can you find that info from the web interface?

Assuming you're right and its a hardware fault, what replacement modem would you recommend?

How do you check that, the country and date of manufacture? Can you find that info from the web interface?

Assuming you're right and its a hardware fault, what replacement modem would you recommend?

Check the label on the back of the AC86U.

The AC86U is a wireless router, not a modem. The AX86U is popular but pricey these days. How do you intend to use/network a new router?

OE

Check the label on the back of the AC86U.

The AC86U is a wireless router, not a modem. The AX86U is popular but pricey these days. How do you intend to use/network a new router?

OE

From the back of the label i can see manufacture date November 2019
In terms of country i can see Made in China and then there are 2 Asus addresses (Germany and Taiwan)

Yeah the AX86U is very expensive. In terms of usage, nothing fancy just internet with some nice security features like AiProtection. Having more detailed administrative configuration would be nice but i assume that's with all modern routers

I came from an AC68U and was really happy with it. Did a lot of research before i got the AC86U. Quite a let down to be honest, maybe i'm just not lucky

From the back of the label i can see manufacture date November 2019
In terms of country i can see Made in China and then there are 2 Asus addresses (Germany and Taiwan)

Yeah the AX86U is very expensive. In terms of usage, nothing fancy just internet with some nice security features like AiProtection. Having more detailed administrative configuration would be nice but i assume that's with all modern routers

I came from an AC68U and was really happy with it. Did a lot of research before i got the AC86U. Quite a let down to be honest, maybe i'm just not lucky

I had two China 2018 AC86Us VRs burn out, and I have a Vietnam 2020 with an unstable 2.4 radio. Definitely a disappointment, but not enough to change brands, just models. So far, the AX86U is performing well but about $100 more than I'd prefer to spend.

OE

Hi all sorry for the late reply but just an update of my situation

I managed to purchase the AX86U during the Easter weekend (sale). Everything seems to be working fine with the stock FW (updated to latest)

Used the old AC86U as an air mesh node

Only issue so far (which hardly happens) is if the router disconnects, i have to actually call my ISP to have them manually terminate my sessions as the router would not reconnect
LCP TERMINATED BY PEER

I assume this is an issue on the ISPs end?

Hi all sorry for the late reply but just an update of my situation

I managed to purchase the AX86U during the Easter weekend (sale). Everything seems to be working fine with the stock FW (updated to latest)

Used the old AC86U as an air mesh node

Only issue so far (which hardly happens) is if the router disconnects, i have to actually call my ISP to have them manually terminate my sessions as the router would not reconnect
LCP TERMINATED BY PEER

I assume this is an issue on the ISPs end?

This thread suggests so: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/lcp-terminated-by-peer-frequent-disconnects.35760/post-291289

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!