What's new

RT-AC86U DDNS Not Updating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gone15

New Around Here
Good Evening,

My DNS isn't updating on my router and I believe I have the settings all set correctly. Can anyone shed some light on what could be wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Craig

What router? What firmware? What scripts and other features/options are you using? What settings are you using now?

More information required. What do you mean by "isn't updating"? What are the symptoms?

My Apologies on the such a vague post.

I have a Asus RT-AC86U with Firmware Version 384.19.

Enabled the DDNS client is set to yes.
DDNS Registration Result states Registration is successful.
Method to retrieve wan ip says internal.
Server is listed as custom. I am using EasyDns for my DNS so I had to use custom.
Forced update interval (in days) is set to 2.

I formarted the JFFS partition at next boot.
Enabeled JFFS custom scripts and configs.

Made the proper changes by logging into my router using putty.

Can't seem to get into my router atm so I can't give you guys the config file settings but by getting the registration is successful notification it would lead me to believe that I have done everything successfully.

More information I purchased this router about two months ago and have made the changes to the settings a few times over to get it to work, I have even reset it all and re-set it all back up to see if I missed something.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance.

So are you using the custom script for EasyDNS from the wiki?

Hey Dave,

When I first looked for info on how to do it with my router I found this article. https://www.skepticism.us/posts/201...s-updating-on-asuswrt-merlin-router-firmware/

Looking at the two I see some minor differences that could be the reason mine isn't working. I will go back and update mine to reflect more of what the link you provided me with and see if that takes thanks. I will keep you posted once I can get back into my router at home.

I had issues over the weekend on 384.19 with freedns.afraid.org not registering. Switched to Asus DDNS and it worked. Went to 386.1 alpha4 and tried freedns again and it works. Not sure when freedns quit working but I had added Diversion on Saturday. So I turned Diversion off and freedns still would not register.

So are you using the custom script for EasyDNS from the wiki?

This looks like what I was missing.

At first I tried editing a couple of the lines from mine to match the ones from the new link but kept failing.

Once I copied the lines from the link above and edited the lines to my settings it worked right away.

I think the difference was actually the curl line but I can't confirm it.

I am also curious to why the uri base line has double quotes where everything else has single quotes. I thought that was strange but I left the single quotes on username/password/domain and double quotes for the uri base.

Thank you all for the help. I am sleep better tonight knowing that this is working the way it should be.

Not sure if this is related, but I'm having some issues with the asuscomm ddns where it won't update after a scheduled reboot until I manually run `service start_ddns`
Here are some error logs:
Code:
inadyn[828]: Failed resolving hostname ns1.asuscomm.com: Name or service not known
inadyn[4832]: Failed resolving hostname ns1.asuscomm.com: Name or service not known
inadyn[4832]: Failed to get IP address for update@asus.com, giving up!
inadyn[4832]: Update forced for alias myddns.asuscomm.com, new IP# 
inadyn[828]: Failed to get IP address for update@asus.com, giving up!
inadyn[828]: Update forced for alias myddns.asuscomm.com, new IP#

Not sure if this is related, but I'm having some issues with the asuscomm ddns where it won't update after a scheduled reboot until I manually run `service start_ddns`
Here are some error logs:

That indicates a DNS issue with your router, it's unable to do name resolution. Double check your DNS settings.

That indicates a DNS issue with your router, it's unable to do name resolution. Double check your DNS settings.
Thanks for the info!

I have "Connect to DNS Server automatically" enabled in the WAN settings, and everything else seems to be fine.
Is the ddns service starting too soon since it works if I manually run the command..?

Thanks for the info!

I have "Connect to DNS Server automatically" enabled in the WAN settings, and everything else seems to be fine.
Is the ddns service starting too soon since it works if I manually run the command..?

That would be odd since it's designed to start after WAN goes up.

That would be odd since it's designed to start after WAN goes up.
I tried setting Connect to DNS Server automatically to NO and setting it manually, but still get this on reboot:
Code:
inadyn[1426]: Failed connecting to ns1.asuscomm.com: Interrupted system call
inadyn[1426]: Failed to get IP address for update@asus.com, giving up!
inadyn[1426]: Update forced for alias myddns.asuscomm.com, new IP# xx.xx.xx.xx
inadyn[1460]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
WAN type is PPPoE if that makes a difference.
I manage another almost identical setup for another family member and that router will update the DDNS correctly. Both are on 384.19.

Edit: changing the setting back and forth seems to have updated something and the Asus ddns seems to be working on reboot now!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!