What's new

RT-AC86U / DNS config & OpenVPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPv6 is disabled, and I'm using the Exclusive DNS mode. My WAN DNS set to Auto.

I am doing this in the VPN settings however. I think this is right, but it's set up to put the entire network into the VPN, other than 3 devices which I want through the ISP directly. Is this what you mean by split rules? Thanks RMerlin

nuAxh14.png

As a side note, is there any reason why I can't just use the VPNs DNS in the WAN page (over the automated DNS which will use that of the ISP's DNS)? Or is it about keeping the two things separate?

Last edited:
No, those rules are fine, they wouldn't prevent Exclusive mode from working properly.

Using the VPN DNS on the WAN page will only work if those are public DNS, and not specific to your DNS provider. They also won't prevent applications like Netflix from using their own hardcoded Google DNS.

So am I right in saying that, basically I have it set up correctly? :)

The reason I'm splitting it is because Netflix wouldn't work on my NVIDIA Shield (or other smart TVs). By doing the above they work fine! I guess I'm just being paranoid about whether the rest of the network is making use of the VPN properly. For the record I'm trying to use NordVPN, but I don't know if their DNS is public or not.

Hello
I have the same problem on my Asus RT-AC86U (Merlin 384.12). I would like all my devices to use the DNS servers from Cloudflare and the devices that are connected via VPN should use the DNS servers from the VPN provider (NordVPN).

But if make the check https://browserleaks.com/ip to a device that connected to VPN, then the DNS of Cloudflare will be displayed to me, but as iunderstand it, the DNS servers of the VPN Providers must are used.

Or is my OpenVPN settings wrong (i use NordVPN).

Thank you very much

Attachments

• asus.png
    asus.png
    189 KB · Views: 188

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!