What's new

RT-AC86U FW 384.9 “openvpn: Resetting client (unit 2) to default settings”

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pioneerfreq

New Around Here
Greetings,

I have successfully configured VPN client 1 with an ovpn file. If I try to configure any of the other clients, after uploading the ovpn file, the screen refreshes and I see the following in the logs:
  • openvpn: Resetting client (unit 2) to default settings
Please note that:

Anyone else able to duplicate this?

Last edited:
openvpn: Resetting client (unit 2) to default settings

This is normal, and working as intended. To ensure you don't have a mixture of old and new settings, settings are reset to default values before applying the content of the ovpn file. It's the only way to ensure that all settings not specified in the ovpn file are truly back to their default values.

Ok. Understood.

I have to admit that I was making some incorrect assumptions in my use of the VPN client page. I was following the same process I followed before switching to the much more feature rich Merlin firmware. I would download the ovpn file, copy the filename, paste that into the description field, browse to the file and then click the upload button. There would be a message on the screen indicating the file had been successfully uploaded. With Merlin firmware, if I do this then the description I entered is erased and there is nothing to indicate the file was uploaded successfully. This lead me to the incorrect assumption that it was not working correctly. If I had simply looked at the fields further down the page, I would have seen that they had in fact been populated based on the contents of the ovpn file.

Your patience and support are much appreciated.