What's new

RT-AC86U hangs on reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar issue with my new AX88U. It would stay powered down in a reboot. As mentioned above the reboot counter would get to 100 percent and spin. I went into the room the router is in and sure enough it would be off (no leds). What fixed it, I'm unsure to say. I went straight to @RMerlin firmware right out of the box. That is when this all happened. While troubleshooting a wifi issue, I flashed and reset to defaults about 5 times:eek:....LOL,:rolleyes: now the problem doesn't exist. My recommendation is resetting more than once. ;):)

Same issue here on AC86U since flashing from 384.9 to 384.10. When initiating reboot from the GUI, the router goes OFF, I have to manually press the button on the back to actually switch it off and then turn it on...

I m having problems with the AC86U too. Have it running a couple off weeks ok. The last days without any action from me it began to reboot every 1-2 hours.Flash to 384.10 still rebooting. Cant use as master router. Don't trust this router.The old AC68 is back. Haven't been at home for same time will try to reset see if gets better.

My suggestion to all is to search the forum for a recent post by L&LD, sorry I don't have the link handy, and follow the instruction there. Do not deviate and do not use a saved backup. This will get your router into a known stable state. Then manually reconfigure. If this does not solve your issue then it's probably RMA time.

My suggestion to all is to search the forum for a recent post by L&LD, sorry I don't have the link handy, and follow the instruction there. Do not deviate and do not use a saved backup. This will get your router into a known stable state. Then manually reconfigure. If this does not solve your issue then it's probably RMA time.

Thank you, Dave Parker.

Everyone, please see the links in my signature below. A full M&M Config as outlined below will ensure that the router is set to a good/known state where any further troubleshooting will be much more fruitful than when chasing self-inflicted bugs and glitches by doing a 'dirty' flash over one or multiple firmware updates/upgrades.

Even, as unlogical as it may sound, a brand new/unused router with the original as-shipped firmware. ;)

Thank you, Dave Parker.

Everyone, please see the links in my signature below. A full M&M Config as outlined below will ensure that the router is set to a good/known state where any further troubleshooting will be much more fruitful than when chasing self-inflicted bugs and glitches by doing a 'dirty' flash over one or multiple firmware updates/upgrades.

Even, as unlogical as it may sound, a brand new/unused router with the original as-shipped firmware. ;)
No problem sir. IMHO, this is the best information for solving most router problems. If a person can read,understand, and follow these steps and not fix there issue then it's probably new router time. :D

Apologies, not trying to sound like Norm Abrams here.

Last edited:
No problem sir. IMHO, this is the best information for solving most router problems. If a person can read,understand, and follow these steps and not fix there issue then it's probably new router time. :D

These steps have saved me countless hundreds of hours in troubleshooting very different networks. And that is exactly what I say to customers too; if these steps don't fix the issue (or at least help lead to a real solution, quickly) then the hardware is most likely at fault. The proof shows when changing the hardware fixes the issue, even when setup (M&M Config, of course) in exactly the same way as the failing unit before. :)

So apparently this issue started with 384.45149? I haven't seen it among my 3x AC86Us, but I've perhaps only rebooted a total of six times among the three routers since installing 384.45149 and 384.9. I haven't upgraded to 384.10 yet.

Last night I upgraded to 384.10 coming from 384.9. Since this was my 3rd time flashing new firmware I did a factory default reset followed by a manual setup just enough to login to the router and get online. Then I repeated the process again. Yes, I reflashed 384.10 the second time followed again by a minimum manual configuration to login to the router and get on line. Will do some tweaking later today. This morning I rebooted the router from within the gui with no problems. So far everything is moving along just fine.

Edit Haven't done the 68U yet, later today maybe.

this happens to my 86u also - 384.12, not often as it's been a few weeks and my reboots are scheduled daily

Happened to me once (86U, latest FW). Rebooted router via GUI and it went completely down (no single LED) for minutes. Power cord re-connection fixed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!