What's new

RT-AC86U: How do I configure port filtering/blocking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan

New Around Here
It appears that in the router settings/ui, this is under Firewall>Network Services Filter, but there are a few boxes that I am unsure how to fill, specifically: 'Filtered ICMP Packet types', the 'source ip' and 'destination ip' (Usually only one ip address). Also, it seems that if I blacklist, that this blocks outgoing port ranges.
If this is only an outward filter, could someone tell me if I can block ports for inbound data? It would be much appreciated.

The description text in the top part of the page explains how the black and white lists work.

If you move your mouse point over a particular field name (like "Filtered ICMP packet types") a "?" will appear. Left-click your mouse for pop-up help.

As it states on the page this is for blocking LAN to WAN traffic. There is no need to specifically block incoming traffic because anything unsolicited will be dropped by the router's firewall by default.

Reactions: Dan
And there is no inbound filter would you say- perhaps something I have missed in the manual?

And there is no inbound filter would you say- perhaps something I have missed in the manual?
There is normally no need for a separate inbound filter. Like I said, unsolicited incoming traffic is dropped by the the firewall. If you want to filter by internet address for solicited traffic you do that with the Network Services Filter.

If on the other hand you have some sort of server on your LAN that you want to filter access to from the internet you would do that as part of your port forwarding rule.

What is it that you are trying to do?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!