What's new

RT-AC86U HW acceleration setting ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks a lot for all your support. I have only 50mbit isp Connection, but the wifi and lan transfer seem to be limited with my setup.
I turned off jumbo frames and spanning tree protocoll (because I have a simple lan with only one switch) and switched to adaptive qos . Now both settings are enabled automatically . I will test, if there is an effect on the lan speed.
During my work with the settings I ve tried to enable the Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters. The button does not have an effect. It is turned to on but no changes on the Interface occurred (even no popup applying settings). If you reload the page it is off again. Reboot doesn't help. Anything that I forgot or could that be a bug in the current 386.9 er firmware?
Thanks a lot for your support. I really appreciate it.

Shouldn't impact wired LAN to LAN transfers either way (wireless to wired maybe, but even then that should be mostly processed in hardware without hardware acceleration enabled). STP is good to leave enabled just in case something gets plugged in wrong, and should not impact your performance. Jumbo frames can actually help throughput if your devices support it, but usually not a big difference.

386.9 most people report requires a full factory reset and manual reconfigure. You may be out of NVRAM so those settings can't save.

If you are not able to get full throughput between two wired LAN devices you need to check your cabling or the drivers on the devices themselves. Could just be a NIC card that isn't capable of doing a full gig, or a hard drive that can't read/write that fast.

Thanks a lot.
I reactivated STP. NVRam I should have enough, it shows me free space. Parental controls are not very imporant to me. I have made a guest network for my kids, where I want to block Netflix . Thats why I wanna check, if that is possible with parental controls for my guest network....

I have only 50mbit isp Connection, but the wifi and lan transfer seem to be limited with my setup.

You have to talk in numbers so we can see if there is a problem or not.

I have made a guest network for my kids, where I want to block Netflix

You can't block Netflix in particular. You can block all Media Streaming to specific devices in Parental Controls:

1676820129090.png

The devices don't have to be on a Guest Network. I don't know if it even applies for Guest Network, especially 1.

You have to talk in numbers so we can see if there is a problem or not.

You can't block Netflix in particular. You can block all Media Streaming to specific devices in Parental Controls:

View attachment 48075

The devices don't have to be on a Guest Network. I don't know if it even applies for Guest Network, especially 1.
Yeah, perfect. But exactly this is the page I don't see, because parental controls can't switched on....
But thank you for the support.

Yeah, perfect. But exactly this is the page I don't see, because parental controls can't switched on....
But thank you for the support.

Factory reset, reconfigure from scratch. Or go back to 386.7_2

Don't think I'll bother trying but thanks for responding.

https://kb.netgear.com/25091/Guidance-on-the-use-of-jumbo-frames

I don't have a problem changing my 86u and PC, but not sure how my Roku, tablet and iphone might react.
late to the Party here, and definitely off topic, but just for a bit of Jumbo frames clarification (that "guidance" article is well written), it's much more of an issue with an IPv6 connection.
These days, 5yrs since this was originally posted, IPv6 is much more prevalent/available and people can choose to make this a part of their network config since most modern stuff supports it.
Here's another good article:
Lots has changed in the 16 years since that was written/published...

late to the Party here, and definitely off topic, but just for a bit of Jumbo frames clarification (that "guidance" article is well written), it's much more of an issue with an IPv6 connection.
These days, 5yrs since this was originally posted, IPv6 is much more prevalent/available and people can choose to make this a part of their network config since most modern stuff supports it.
Here's another good article:
Lots has changed in the 16 years since that was written/published...
Jesus, not again. How many more times do we have to tell you that jumbo frames have nothing to do with IPv6.