What's new

RT-AC86U international version only chinese symbols

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you bought it from Best Buy, then you have the option to change the language. Asus is only limiting it for some specific SKUs, like Chinese and Japanese markets.
I am not sure as I am not in Canada right now, but my wife told me she can't find where to change UI language to chinese for first time setup. I know it can change to other langauge after go though the setup wizard.

...This is what Asus is doing here by enforcing the use of Chinese or Japanese on SKUs sold in these countries.

As I said, this isn't a bug or a missing feature, this is a deliberate marketing choice they made, and they are unlikely to revert that.

I live in China and recently bought (2) RT-AC86U's from my local distributor. Once you log in to the router, there is a "Language" button at the top where you can select whatever language you want including English just like every other ASUS router I've used here.

I am not sure as I am not in Canada right now, but my wife told me she can't find where to change UI language to chinese for first time setup. I know it can change to other langauge after go though the setup wizard.

Sorry, I thought you meant once the router was configured. Asus has been gradually replacing the old Quick Internet Setup with a new responsive design that's more mobile-friendly - it's possible that this setup won't let you change language yet. I don't know yet if Asus has implemented other languages yet, or if they simply use what's provide by the browser as the default language.

@arthurlien : any chance for adding a manual language selector to the new initial setup if there isn't one yet? He's talking about the new initial setup interface that has been used since AiMesh got added (the original Bluecave design).

I live in China and recently bought (2) RT-AC86U's from my local distributor. Once you log in to the router, there is a "Language" button at the top where you can select whatever language you want including English just like every other ASUS router I've used here.

I think there's just a lot of confusion as people are discussing different things here.

I know that some models won't let you change language at all if within a specific region. Japan is the one I'm mostly familiar with - Japanase routers are hardcoded to show the webui in Japanese. That might also be the case for other regions: this, I'm not 100% sure.

However, some of the requests here have been about the initial router setup pages, rather than the regular configuration interface you can access afterward to manage your router.

I think there's just a lot of confusion as people are discussing different things here.

I know that some models won't let you change language at all if within a specific region. Japan is the one I'm mostly familiar with - Japanase routers are hardcoded to show the webui in Japanese. That might also be the case for other regions: this, I'm not 100% sure.

However, some of the requests here have been about the initial router setup pages, rather than the regular configuration interface you can access afterward to manage your router.
YES exactly!

We or I meant this "initial router setup pages", thats why I posted this 2 videos where you can see this initial pages which I mean.
Afterwards I can change to 30 languages on right top, no problem on my what you say chinese version.

Sorry to say but most of the people dont read the initial question but reply to the last post which gives only part of the whole message.

With your logic all things in US must be most expensive as it is the richest country in world!
The opposite is what we can see, all things are cheapest in US if you look at different amazon pages where you can easily compare!
And I dont mean because of different taxes but cleared net prices.

I say yes if products are different with less features or less qualitiy and so cheaper in some regions, but this routers are everywhere the same (a language doesnt make it really more or less expensive for programmers)!
And only in US you get it even for half with a TM-AC1900 version instead 68U ... thats all more than curious to me!

UPDATE
Maybe this can help some to get their language back: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...o-english-on-asus-rt-ac86u.48807/#post-430491

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!