What's new

RT-AC86U or RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you see post 14?
Yes? You rated the AC86U higher than the AX58U.

But the AX86/88U are not available that cheap here so although id love the best one my choice lies with the above 2 and in post #17 the AX58U is recommended as the one to get.

I suppose it comes down to different setups and opinions.

well i have a about 30 iot devices in my home. smart plugs, cameras, light bulbs etc... didn't notice any problems with any of them staying connected on the ax58u. all of them are on the 2ghz. and also most on guest network. some real old and low budget. even a 14 year old laptop running linux.

But I don't use smart connect I used separate ssid for each bandwidth, because smart connect is usually the culprit with issues like that i've found. Even on the AC routers. many of these old devices are 2.4 ghz only. I believe this is a major factor for people who have compatibility issues. I have read some articles about intel network cards needing driver updates, but I'm not sure that is an actual compatibility issues, but more to support the new protocol properly issue. I hear compatibility issues are possible but didn't experience any or read any reviews claiming such curiously. I also had a couple laptops with mu-mimo and a couple galaxy s20 phones with wifi 6. and they all worked great. the galaxy phones always showed the little 6 next to their wifi icon.
Yeah I always split my SSID's as I have found any companies version of Smart Connect to be troublesome. I find most devices default to the 2.4GHz range for the stronger connection when if forced to stay on the 5GHz they are absolutely fine.

Thanks for your honest opinion. Throws a spanner in the works as I was almost certain I was going for the AC86U!

This is your main router and you're (only) buying hardware with your money. Buy the most you can. The RT-AC86U is above the RT-AX58U regardless of unverified reviews online and opinions in post 17.

List of Asus routers - Wikipedia

Two cores @ 1.8GHz with AES acceleration (VPN above 200Mbps) and 3x3:3 AC class, top-end hardware is better than a 1.5GHz tri-core with no AES acceleration (VPN max around 50Mbps) and only 2 streams AX class hardware.

To do this right, buy both and use the one that works best in your environment and return the other.

This is your main router and you're (only) buying hardware with your money. Buy the most you can. The RT-AC86U is above the RT-AX58U regardless of unverified reviews online and opinions in post 17.

Two cores @ 1.8GHz with AES acceleration (VPN above 200Mbps) and 3x3:3 AC class, top-end hardware is better than a 1.5GHz tri-core with no AES acceleration (VPN max around 50Mbps) and only 2 streams AX class hardware.

To do this right, buy both and use the one that works best in your environment and return the other.

the opinion from post 17 states that the ax58u only does around 50MBs openvpn speed as something to think about it.

but for most people that is not an issue. I recommend for desktops and mobile devices to use the vpn app which can get you even more vpn speed, rather then the router. IMO openvpn at the router at ac86u speeds would only be nescessary for multiple smart tv's at 4k or hdr. . I'm actually running almost 30 iot devices, including amazon echos including half a dozen echo shows, smart hubs, 2 ring cams, 3 blink cams, 3 other smart cams, all on the 30MBs openvpn client of my ac66u_b1 which I realized was still fine for all my purposes and there was no need for me to even upgrade. I have 0 issues with them all on guest mode on 2.4ghz channel. the one garage cam is like 150 feet away. the front doorbell gets the weakest signal due to the router at the basement on the back wall of my house, but its still around 70 rssi. I first upgraded thinking I needed better connection to the shed cam but it has been working great.

But i actually did buy both of those routers. my personal experience was the ac86u was completely unstable when I had all features turned on, which gradually got worse and came to a head when i found myself rebooting the router to get the 2.4ghz band to work multiple times right before the return window. Which i was afraid of happening from all the complaints on these very forums before I bought it. I bought it with the hopes the 2020 model would perform better then the past 2018 models I read about. I still believe the problem was running a vpn on it in the first place along with ai trend micro and other features turned on. Started with syslog errors, then DCD crashes, then the whole band dropping out requiring a reboot.

The ax58u never had any issues, but I ended up returning it to try out the ac86u just for that extra vpn speed and I still regret it.

It was a mistake for me to return that ax58u after 3 weeks just for that extra vpn speed, and the ac86u frustrated me so much I ended up staying with my ac66u_b1 for now not even wanting to spend the money on the ax58u again. If I never bought the ac86u, I'd still have that ax58u.

Last edited:
These are consumer routers. Turning on all features will bring any one of them to their knees. Particularly with the way we can push this hardware with RMerlin + amtm + scripts.

Need to choose your battles wisely and use what you need, and that is rarely, 'everything'.

Btw, both the RT-AX58U and the RT-AC86U are high above the RT-AC66U_B1.

Frustrated enough to go down that many levels for your network performance? Puzzling, to say the least.

These are consumer routers. Turning on all features will bring any one of them to their knees. Particularly with the way we can push this hardware with RMerlin + amtm + scripts.

Need to choose your battles wisely and use what you need, and that is rarely, 'everything'.

Btw, both the RT-AX58U and the RT-AC86U are high above the RT-AC66U_B1.

Frustrated enough to go down that many levels for your network performance? Puzzling, to say the least.

Nonsense. I have them all on my ac66u_b1 and turned them all on with the ax58u, it is only the ac86u that had issues and coudln't handle it. ALl that processor speed is for nothing. Or maybe its for someone else. I use merlin firmware with the vpn policy routing settings and lots of options tweaked and on. Mac filtering, mac ip binding, hidden networks. 4 guest networks. did I mention the 2.4ghz band has over 30 devices connected? I don't use scripts but I'm talking about the features advertised on the box of the router that factors into the cost that asus charges you money for. AI Trend micro, Adaptive QOS, Traffic Analyzer etc. I don't even use media sharing or usb functions. And I only have a 300MB connection.

I find it deplorable that most people with the ac86u either don't run a vpn, or don't turn all the features on without dcd crashes at a minimum. I mean that router had so many errors in the syslog, I thought maybe I never noticed any on my ac66u_b1, which I've had all those features on for almost 3 years. but there is nothing. and I mean nothing in the logs that even hint of an error or problem on my acc66u_b1. I don't think i had to reboot the router since hooking it back up lol.

RIGHT out the BOX, the ac86u will use 10% more memory and the cpu will be 10% hotter, almost exactly, than the ax58u and ac66u_b1. 63% mem which creeps up to 80 used at 73 deg vs a steady 53-63% mem at 63 degrees respectively on both systems. that was a red flag for me right there and till this day I find that strange.

Last edited:
I suppose it comes down to different setups and opinions.

Different setups can matter. Opinions not so much. Get the AX58 and let us know how it goes.

OE

Thanks to everyone for your help and discussion.

I have taken it all on board and after having a rethink and a look round the forums I might just pay the extra money and pick up the RT-AX88U as it seems to be highly regarded and I am struggling to find anything bad. It also seems to tick all my boxes and be largely future proof for my requirements.

As a former R7000 Fan that placed nearly 10+ of these Units overall in the Households of Family and Friends since 2013/2014, all I can say is that these was a really nice Router for sooo many Years!
It truly shined with xvort*x Firmware and combined great Wi-Fi coverage, speed and reliability.

But I think you noticed already that the Scripts and Add-ons for Asus are continuously growing in complexity. So I decided to replace my own R7000 this Year with an AX-58U and I didn't regret it.

Technology advanced really fast this last Years and you can really feel that the AX-58U is a lot snappier in every term than the good old R7000. I think the AX-58U is really worth its Price.

The only downside for me is, that the Wi-Fi Coverage is not as good as with the R7000.
But everything else, GUI/Add-ons/Scripts/Tinkering around/Website loading times etc. feel really fast and overall the Device runs smooth as butter.

Also, with every new Firmware you can tell that the AX-58U gets better and better.
Even can't wait for Merlin's new 386.1 Firmware, the current feedback for Alpha 4 is awesome.

As a sidenote:
I don't care about OpenVPN. For me, WireGuard is the Future of VPN and this runs perfectly fine and speedy on my Unraid-Server.

After tinkering and testing around for Month's I've found the nearly perfect Wi-Fi settings for me.
Feel free to try and adjust them. Feedback appreciated.

2,4 GHz

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 18.35.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 18.35.11.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 18.35.21.png

Thanks for the pictures of your settings. I'll have a look through them when I receive my new router.

As you mentioned the R7000 has been brilliant for the last 2 years but it now suffers weekly dropouts that require multiple restarts to get everything back working.

I actually took people's advice and ended up going for the more expensive AX88U which will be here on Monday so I look forward to getting it setup!

As a former R7000 Fan that placed nearly 10+ of these Units overall in the Households of Family and Friends since 2013/2014, all I can say is that these was a really nice Router for sooo many Years!
It truly shined with xvort*x Firmware and combined great Wi-Fi coverage, speed and reliability.

But I think you noticed already that the Scripts and Add-ons for Asus are continuously growing in complexity. So I decided to replace my own R7000 this Year with an AX-58U and I didn't regret it.

Technology advanced really fast this last Years and you can really feel that the AX-58U is a lot snappier in every term than the good old R7000. I think the AX-58U is really worth its Price.

The only downside for me is, that the Wi-Fi Coverage is not as good as with the R7000.
But everything else, GUI/Add-ons/Scripts/Tinkering around/Website loading times etc. feel really fast and overall the Device runs smooth as butter.

Also, with every new Firmware you can tell that the AX-58U gets better and better.
Even can't wait for Merlin's new 386.1 Firmware, the current feedback for Alpha 4 is awesome.

As a sidenote:
I don't care about OpenVPN. For me, WireGuard is the Future of VPN and this runs perfectly fine and speedy on my Unraid-Server.

After tinkering and testing around for Month's I've found the nearly perfect Wi-Fi settings for me.
Feel free to try and adjust them. Feedback appreciated.

2,4 GHz
Why would you explicitly disable beamforming? Just curious as I'm looking to "upgrade" from a TP-Link Archer C2600 (AC 3x3) on KONG OpenWRT to an AX-58U with Merlin firmware.

Why would you explicitly disable beamforming? Just curious as I'm looking to "upgrade" from a TP-Link Archer C2600 (AC 3x3) on KONG OpenWRT to an AX-58U with Merlin firmware.

Adjusted some of my Settings since Dec 2020. This is my current Setup, and it runs pretty good, at least for me.
Recommendation for Beamforming -> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/beamforming.41417/post-494528
Please adjust the Beacon as you like, my devices work pretty well with 200. (Screens show 300, but I'm using 200 now for both)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-14 um 20.58.29.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-14 um 20.54.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-14 um 20.55.04.png

Last edited:

Starting to look around again for a no-rush upgrade to my RT-AC5300 (which I use mostly for its processing power and memory more than for its WiFi performances), I'm wondering what other devices have this AES acceleration for VPNs. Looking at the Asus website it's not listed for AC86U (nor for mine, f.w.i.w.). Is there a resource listing models supporting this ? With FTTH finally spreading around, this might be a non-negligile feature for someone like me who often connects from the outside.
Today both AC86U and AX58U are on offer at Amazon in Italy: 109 and 119 euro respectively.

The RT-AX58U does not have AES-NI.

The RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U and the RT-AC86U do.

So, what was your choice?