What's new

RT-AC86U - Poor Wifi Range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I currently see no advantage using Merlin on an AC86U. Believe me, I have tried just about every firmware version on my AC86U out there for the past several months. And I keep going back to Asus. Currently on 384_81992 with no issues using Cloudflare Secure DNS (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2) and Firefox browser with DoH Custom enabled to Cloudflare Secure (https://security.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query)
Best to do a hard factory reset: see https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
Do a fresh config. Use Dual Band Smart connect (same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHZ), set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ on Channel 1, 6 or 11, 5 GHZ to channel 36 or 149 (non-DFS, I use Channel 36) 20, 40, 80 MHZ. Turn off WPS, Disable UPnP, Set USB Mode to USB 2.0 (helps with 2.4 GHZ operation). I recommend disabling all USB applications as a router is not a very good NAS. You may want to use a new SSID as well. Set the antenna to \ | /
As you know you will get many recommendations. The above works well for me (even though my 5 GHZ tests stronger than 2.4 GHZ my Roku still connects to the 2.4 and streams very well!).

I currently see no advantage using Merlin on an AC86U. Believe me, I have tried just about every firmware version on my AC86U out there for the past several months. And I keep going back to Asus.

My observations also. There are many advantages in using Merlin, but it become increasingly unstable on my routers after 384.14 version. Had to stay on Asus stock to keep the peace at home in last few months. Had to replace the routers after to keep my own peace. Got tired of reboots and resets.

but it become increasingly unstable on my routers after 384.14 version.

YES indeed ...

Maybe I have a solution if my idea it's not too late for you ...
I replace stock ASUS antennas of the router with another ones, 9dBi instead of 3dBi (stock) and for 2,4Ghz was a BIG improvement with almost no cost...
Also I use wifi analyzer to setup free channel for 2,4Ghz, another BIG improvement and I don't have smart connect ... I have 2 separate networks for 2,4 / 5 ghz.
Give a try ...

YES indeed ...

Maybe I have a solution if my idea it's not too late for you ...
I replace stock ASUS antennas of the router with another ones, 9dBi instead of 3dBi (stock) and for 2,4Ghz was a BIG improvement with almost no cost...
Also I use wifi analyzer to setup free channel for 2,4Ghz, another BIG improvement and I don't have smart connect ... I have 2 separate networks for 2,4 / 5 ghz.
Give a try ...
Hi,
But RT-AC86U stock antennas are 4dbi, or am i wrong ...?
Can you indicate what antennas you bought?
Thanks.

But RT-AC86U stock antennas are 4dbi

Mine is EU version and I know is 3 dBi ... but along all house with only concrete and iron walls it's weak signal ...
I buy antennas from Tplink
but I found also this for US
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785CQLJ7/?tag=snbforums-20

The whole idea is you can increase only 2,4ghz signal and I buy 3 antennas for wider and powerful signal, but now I use only one TPlink ( it's perfect compatible with ASUS ) and the others from stock ASUS. The signal it's 100% and even more on the house on super crowded 2,4.
I use all 3 antennas in the past when I have a very weak signal from another router... For RT-86U I need only one to improve signal and I do only one little thing ... I move the router in the center of the house, far away from walls and other things who can block the signal, with very good ventilation and easy access ...If the router is under wires and behind some "stuff" also lose some ... Trust me... In the past the router was closed in the closed :mad: and now I made some house improvements and "shinning "everywhere ...
For 5ghz I have decent signal in house but I limited access for this section.

Also you can do tricks like this, but I think it's not the case

Another idea is to use a repeater, TP LINK AC750 Range Extender Wi-Fi
I use this solution also and was very good for me but I can use the repeater only as AP because the modem router don't recognize the repeater and in AP mode I need to create another SSID and some devices can't switch instant on the new SSID and I have no signal. But the idea is the repeater works on both 2,4 and 5 ghz , easy to setup, no big space to cover as object and for instance you can use like AP if you buy this kind of repeater... with a lot of management inside... led off and other smart functions ...WPS for only 20 usd ... almost like 1-2 antennas ...

Good luck;)

Last edited:
Today I got a AC86U to replace my Netgear R7000.
I must say, the WLAN coverage of both 2,4 and 5 GHz are much worse.
Both bands are set to "performance", but when I measure the range and intensity of the WLAN coverage (with different tools), I'm disappointed of the AC86U.

Edit: I also tried to swap antennas, but it seems the AC86U has worse TX power....

Edit2:
Result of "wl txpwr_target_max" on R7000: 28,5 28,5 28,5
Result of "wl txpwr_target_max" on AC86U: 13,75 13,75 13,75 13,75
Why?

Edit3:
Result of "nvram get wl0_country_code" on R7000: #a
Result of "nvram get wl0_country_code" on AC86U: E0
Why?

How can I ramp up the TX power?

Last edited:
Today I got a AC86U to replace my Netgear R7000.
I must say, the WLAN coverage of both 2,4 and 5 GHz are much worse.
Both bands are set to "performance", but when I measure the range and intensity of the WLAN coverage (with different tools), I'm disappointed of the AC86U.

Edit: I also tried to swap antennas, but it seems the AC86U has worse TX power....

Edit2:
Result of "wl txpwr_target_max" on R7000: 28,5 28,5 28,5
Result of "wl txpwr_target_max" on AC86U: 13,75 13,75 13,75 13,75
Why?

Edit3:
Result of "nvram get wl0_country_code" on R7000: #a
Result of "nvram get wl0_country_code" on AC86U: E0
Why?

How can I ramp up the TX power?
Something does not seem right. My old AC86U is stronger by far than my neighbors Netgear. E0 does not seem to be a correct country code either.

After some research, I guess it isn't possible to raise TX power or change region, since the CFE is encrypted? (and it's big with 92MB, I guess it includes multiple partitions?)
nvram commands won't work either.

Edit:
If I could acquire the CFE from a chinese or an US model, what would happen if I flashed it?

Last edited:
Bring the router closer to the (most important) client devices. (Location, location, location).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!